Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My New Shed

Peje

This is going to be one of those work in progress threads, hopefully will be complete within a month. Can't bring myself to call it an Observatory as that conjures up images of things much grander than what I'm aiming for.

I've had a 10'x10' chicken pen for 5 yrs, and yesterday I sold off my hens and gear. Dismantled the two inner sides, going to enclose these again full height and seal all the gaps next weekend.

3.5 wide', 6' high double door should be wide enough to lift out the EQ6 with scope attached I hope.

Currently digging out the soil and giving to people who turn up so I can get the maximum internal height possible.

I have a small server Rack to go into it that will house the pc/server I'll use to control my scope and DSLR. I estimate at 5m USB & Serial Cable will be plenty to reach the scope outside. Going to route this through a sealed box outside at high level to avoid any chance of tripping over the wires.

Any suggestions welcome!

Pete

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the end, if it's a building with the specific purpose of housing and using telescope equipment, then it's an observatory.   :grin: 

Revel in the loveliness of joining the obsy club (even if it's a while off!) - wish I could join you :)

Hi Pete,

So is it an obsy or a storage place for your scope?.. You probably have enough height to run a roll off roof to either side of the structure and enough space to put a pier in...You lucky chap!! :grin: ..

Run some swa so you have a proper electrical supply to the structure. You mention you have a server rack to mount the IT so I guess the cabling will be tidy. If you do put a pier in put some decking down so you isolate the pier a little bit. But as always, measure twice cut once. There are some threads on SGL with obsy builds on.

Good luck with the build.

This will mainly be for storing the scope, it'll be lifted out onto the concrete for use. Though I'll be heading back into the shed once the alignment is done, I'll run it all from the PC. And on those especially cold nights I'll remote in from the house and do it all from the sofa!

Already has a permanent mains feed with solid cable rated to 30a so it'll be plenty for a mount, lights and a couple of servers :)

Gonna have to look into red fluro tubes to see if such a thing is available as it'd prob be nicer to sit in if I need to pop outside to check something and don't wanna wait for my eyes to adjust to the dark

Pete

Plenty of scope for improvement there, this is going to be a good one, it's got that feel

I certainly hope so, a friend is giving me a hand and he's an old hand joiner so the woodwork will be sound

About 1 ton of soil removed today. Hopefully just another 2-300kg and that's it done.

Planning to have a suspended floor 4-6" above the soil to improve the life of the floor due to being well away from water and soil.

If you can find a way to allow air to circulate underneath (just a few gaps it can get in and out of may well be sufficient) that should help too.

James

Planning to have reasonable gaps on one side to let water away, hadn't really thought of ventilation but this would also allow that.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the soil cleared last weekend and timber gathered so I finally got stuck into some building this afternoon. All static sides are done, next Saturday going to do the floor and hopefully add the double doors.

It rained solid all day but from now all the work can be done inside the shed...so that probably means we're about to get dry weather until the sheds complete LOL

Hopefully within two weeks I'll be moving all the computer gear in.

post-43834-0-13230700-1430595279_thumb.j

Looking good....

Make sure to show the end result 

paul

I'll post photos at each stage.

Trying to do it on a budget, as it stands it's cost me 60 quid (not including roof). Prob another 30 for the door and say 100 for the floor.

I dont know anything about obsy building, but i do also live on the island of Ireland and i know how much rain we get. You will seriously need to weather proof that timber frame before you think about moving any electrics in. The roof also wont cut the mustard, but i'm sure you know that already.

Maybe i'm wrong.

I dont know anything about obsy building, but i do also live on the island of Ireland and i know how much rain we get. You will seriously need to weather proof that timber frame before you think about moving any electrics in. The roof also wont cut the mustard, but i'm sure you know that already.

Maybe i'm wrong.

Yeh I've plenty of plans for sealing it up tight. What way do you mean the roof won't cut the mustard? In terms of keeping water out? It's been doing a fine job of that for years lol

Yeh I've plenty of plans for sealing it up tight. What way do you mean the roof won't cut the mustard? In terms of keeping water out? It's been doing a fine job of that for years lol

It probably has. Im just thinking that if you want a Ro-Ro roof that you might want/need something other then corrugated plastic.

Hey............if it works.

It probably has. Im just thinking that if you want a Ro-Ro roof that you might want/need something other then corrugated plastic.

Hey............if it works.

Ro-ro roof?

Your idea of having the scope on a dolly sounds interesting.  I'm looking at a similar possibility and have been looking at dollies on line - haven't seen anything with retractable wheels.  Have you found anything for that yet?

Best of luck,

Paul

Your idea of having the scope on a dolly sounds interesting. I'm looking at a similar possibility and have been looking at dollies on line - haven't seen anything with retractable wheels. Have you found anything for that yet?

Best of luck,

Paul

I just spotted some good reviews for the Skywatcher Pillar Mount. Might be something I'm going to get after a while

Your idea of having the scope on a dolly sounds interesting.  I'm looking at a similar possibility and have been looking at dollies on line - haven't seen anything with retractable wheels.  Have you found anything for that yet?

Best of luck,

Paul

Made a stainless steel frame on 3 wheels and 3 screwed down plates.  The tripod legs sit on the plates over the wheels, so you roll the whole thing out to where you want it, wind the legs down for levelling, removing the wheels from the floor at the same time.  Can put picture in if you require.

Archived