Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My New Shed

Peje

How is the humudity in your area? Will it affect the scope and mount or do you plan to run a small HVAC?

Humidity I hadn't been overly concerned with but I guess I may have to look into it a bit. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about elecronics unless it's going to heat up substantially and cool down again which would cause condensation to form, do the EQ6 heat up much during use? I wouldn't have thought so but that is a totally uneducated guess.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't risk anything expensive under a plastic roof.  I've known corrugated plastic roof get turned into a colander by a hail strom :(  And it doesn't last - I have a shed with corrugated roof that I built a few years ago and it's got several holes in it.

I wouldn't risk anything expensive under a plastic roof.  I've known corrugated plastic roof get turned into a colander by a hail strom :(  And it doesn't last - I have a shed with corrugated roof that I built a few years ago and it's got several holes in it.

It is a good point, I plan to have a lockable wardrobe style feature for the mount, scope, etc to be stored. Both for protection from accidents and also to keep them out of view.

Having said that, the roof is 5 years old and is as good as new. The two outer sheets are tin, only the central 3 are perspex/ polycarbonate

I've been looking at a dolly as well but can't find anything with retractable wheels.  Have you come across anything?  Perhaps another way would be to have it on a pallet with board on the top so you could lift it out if you can get a cheap hand forklift .

Paul

Since it's a sunny bank holiday I gave the shed a coat of paint (well stain), how people managed before fence sprayers is beyond me!

Now off to a large pirate ship play park...might even let's the kids play once I'm done ;)

post-43834-143073382313_thumb.jpg

Love the dog.

That's the mighty Harvey, he must inspect all work taking place in HIS yard lol

We have another wee bitch but she's more of a house dog, Harv is happiest when he's digging in mud or killing something with feathers! Lost a few chickens to him over the years.

I can't quite visualise your trolley with 3 plates, when you say wind the legs down - how do you mean - also with removing the wheels from the floor.  Have you got a picture, that would help.  Like the dog as well.

I can't quite visualise your trolley with 3 plates, when you say wind the legs down - how do you mean - also with removing the wheels from the floor.  Have you got a picture, that would help.  Like the dog as well.

I take photo on Tuesday.

I think your future observatory has been usurped by Harvey.  Looks well with it stained.

He will have his place, he pretty much sits at my feet anywhere we go. Still more wood to go on but thought I'd give it a quick coat while the weather was good.

Did a wee touch more tonight and got the supports for the floor finished. That's all I'll be doing til middle of next week.

So far it's cost 160 and I reckon another 100 will finish it.

post-43834-143094615458_thumb.jpg

Floor complete :) Door ironmongery ordered...getting closer to completion.

NEQ6 Pro being ordered in a couple of weeks so need to get this finished ASAP

post-43834-0-31446900-1431533978_thumb.j

Built up the new PC for controlling the scope and processing images

2U Rackmount Chassis

ASUS Z10PA-U8 Motherboard

Intel Xeon E5-2620v3

32 GB DDR4 2133mhz RAM

240 GB Corsair Neutron SSD

18 TB RAID6 Array

ASUS 1 GB GPU

Redundant PSU's

That should last for many a year! Just need to install W8.1 and start building up the software.

• 2 weeks later...

The outside is essentially complete, started moving all the gear inside and hopefully by the end of the week I'll have it ready for the mount. Had to push ordering it back another month, damn real world getting in the way!

The box on the wall will have my connections between scope and pc. Currently wiring for 1dc jack, 1 db9 and two usbs

post-43834-143254023692_thumb.jpg

post-43834-143254024733_thumb.jpg

How about getting some steel rods or tubing. Fit them down and use a sledge type mount on steel wheels to roll out the mount and scope. It could save you having to re-align each time. I saw Gina's obsy using something similar for the roof. If they are solid where it counts( bolted down)  with an end stop, could be very accurate. Less chance of an accident and easy to roll away if it rains.

Best of luck,

Derek

How about getting some steel rods or tubing. Fit them down and use a sledge type mount on steel wheels to roll out the mount and scope. It could save you having to re-align each time. I saw Gina's obsy using something similar for the roof. If they are solid where it counts( bolted down)  with an end stop, could be very accurate. Less chance of an accident and easy to roll away if it rains.

Best of luck,

Derek

I was actually considering something like a removable pillar style mount, recessed head expanding bolts or the likes so it would be easy to get it exactly to the same spot. This is a while off though, plenty of other things on my hit list :D

Some more photos, the server Rack is in and mostly wired up. Also got some wiring done to the waterproof enclosure that'll hold my cables to connect to the mount.

post-43834-143293481615_thumb.jpg

post-43834-143293482763_thumb.jpg

post-43834-143293484054_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

Are you going to heat your room? Because if you are you will need to do something about the roof. I have a garage with the same sort of roof on an extension bit. It drips condensation during the winter all the time even without heating. Every thing under it gets wet. Your monitors and server will need covering at the very least I would think.

Regards

Derek

A dehumidifier on congruous drainage to an outside drain would alleviate the problem mentioned above. I highly recommend the Meaco DD8L which is what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived