Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 Andromeda Galaxy

Barry-Wilson

My version of M31 imaged over many nights through December between weather and moonlight windows.  I have found this quite a challenge to process with gradients from moonlight and its dynamic range.  I'm sure I will return to this target in the future when better conditions allow (some way to go on the magnificent M31 from Grinde  :rolleyes:  and Olly's version revealing the halo  :grin: ).

It is also first light with my Baby Q at F3.9 and Atik 383L+ combination after waiting for a M54 to T2 adapter to be made which had a shorter mechanical length than the Tak wide T2 mount which didn't allow sufficient back focus for a short T2 spacer.  I do like the scale (3.39"/px) and FOV and am currently working on a mosaic of the Flaming Star and Tadpole area with this configuration.

The details:

• Takahashi FSQ85 EDX with 0.73x reducer
  • Avalon Linear Fast Reverse mount
  • Atik 383L+
  • Baader LRGB, Astrodon 5nm Ha
  • SGP for capture and processed with PI
  • All subs bin 1
  • Lum - 10 x 180s, 20 x 300s, 6 x 600s
  • R, G, B - 10 x 300s each channel
  • Ha - 4 x 900s
  • Total integration of 6.7 hours

Hi res version, http://astrob.in/141436/0/

Thanks for looking.

Barry

post-28392-0-20189900-1418946883_thumb.j

Thanks everyone.

Processing LRGB after such a run on NB data certainly felt unfamiliar; not too sure the black point is right yet and perhaps a little too sharp overall.  I have to admit I still find it difficult to know when to be satisfied with an image and to stop 'tweaking'  :laugh: .

Barry

Archived