Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Jupiter pic - wow, it really works!

PhotoGav

Here is my picture of Jupiter from last night (15-02-14). Captured using a Celestron 8" EgdeHD, EOS 60Da and BackyardEOS. 400 from 900 frames used. Processed with PIPP and Registax.

post-29321-0-22037700-1392552798.png

I'm amazed by this result - it's such a thrill to actually get a picture that really does look like Jupiter! Sorry, bit overexcited by it all!!!

However, as a person afflicted by the need to always try and achieve perfection, at least when it comes to photographs, please can you knowledgeable lot give me some tips on to how to improve. I know that the scope is capable of so much more, but what should I do to get a better, clearer picture? Also, the final size of this is very small, 450 x 450 pixels - that's fine for screen, but not going to make a very big print. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Finally, thank you to AstroTarp and this tutorial: http://www.astrotarp.com/Registax_Version_6_Tutorial.html which saved me from a blur of nothing!

It's a really good start, well done ... Especially with an slr .

Webcams seem to be the weapon of choice on planets due to the small sensor size.

Generally I'd say try for more frames and get focus as good as possible with maybe a bahitov or y mask.

Really good effort though!

Thanks Knobby & Nick. Next time I will aim to get many more frames. Looking at some of the superb pics being posted from yesterday, they seem to be in the thousands of frames. An interesting and new challenge. I will also try out the QHY5-II camera that I use for guiding normally. It's mono, but it will be interesting to give it a spin. The next thing will be filters to get LRGB going! It really is a money pit this hobby isn't it - a very satisfying one though...

Here is my picture of Jupiter from last night (15-02-14). Captured using a Celestron 8" EgdeHD, EOS 60Da and BackyardEOS. 400 from 900 frames used. Processed with PIPP and Registax.

attachicon.gifjupiter_Tv1-8s_200iso_1024x680_20140215-21h59m39s_pipp-03.png

I'm amazed by this result - it's such a thrill to actually get a picture that really does look like Jupiter! Sorry, bit overexcited by it all!!!

However, as a person afflicted by the need to always try and achieve perfection, at least when it comes to photographs, please can you knowledgeable lot give me some tips on to how to improve. I know that the scope is capable of so much more, but what should I do to get a better, clearer picture? Also, the final size of this is very small, 450 x 450 pixels - that's fine for screen, but not going to make a very big print. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Finally, thank you to AstroTarp and this tutorial: http://www.astrotarp.com/Registax_Version_6_Tutorial.html which saved me from a blur of nothing!

Quicky question... sorry if you've mentioned it already but I couldn't see it, but what exposure did you use??

It was 1/8s at 200ISO. That was total trial and error, but seems to have worked. The camera was on Manual rather than Bulb and I eventually realised that I needed to turn on exposure simulation (I think that's what it's called) for the shutter speed to have any impact on the live view image! I also clicked the 5x button in BackyardEOS. I think that's all the settings.

If I had managed to get something like that Id be excited too! I tend to think that for first attempts even just a vague impression of the planet is enough and youv more than got that here with some lovely colours and details in the bands.

The camera was on Manual rather than Bulb and I eventually realised that I needed to turn on exposure simulation (I think that's what it's called) for the shutter speed to have any impact on the live view image!

/quote]

I am using BYEOS 3.0.3 Premium and I can't find this exposure simulator setting. Under the planetary capture plan there are no options available for aperture...I assume this is what you mean by exposure simulator not being enabled?

Steve

• 2 months later...

Archived