Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda's actual size if it was brighter

Svenito

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair comment sir ... :laugh:

I guess it's being able to use both eyes that gives me a better view than with a scope ... ?

Yes, that may well be true. Not tried 15x70's I must admit. Binoviewers tend to struggle with lower power views so binoculars are a good option and easier to get under dark sky.

31t5 in my 106mm is quite relaxing to view with though.

Stu

I personally think the andromeda galaxy offers a lot to all sized optics, if ones site is dark enough.

For the overall galaxy a pair of 15x70 bins or RFT are best, but to follow the dust lanes as they spiral around it is the haven of bigger scopes. Picking out the delicate structure inside the dust lanes needs even bigger glass still.

All these views are spectacular and very rewarding to anybody willing to get to really dark skies.

Give the Ocular Plug-in in Stellarium , easy to configure and lets you load all your scopes , bins , cameras and eyepieces in so you can see quickly which combo works best for a given target.

Good tutorial here ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_KnCxm98eI

Thanks Steve, that's a really good tutorial and I will configure Stellarium to include this. I feel like another hurdle over and I'm making progress albeit slowly as there is so much to learn.  :rolleyes:

That's why it's a much better target for a 15x70 binocular than any telescope ... :smiley:  

Looks great from a dark site with my 4.08 degrees from my smallest scope ;) (66mm), but you would also get that large FOV with the Espirit as it has 400mm focal length :).

I find our own Galaxy is actually far  more impressive.........

16500feetmilkywaykc2_brunier800.jpg

At this scale the moon would appear as a small dot.

That's definitely not one of yours, LJ - you can't see that 'fuzzy blob' on the lower right of the image from your latitude... :D Shame the LMC isn't in the image.

That's definitely not one of yours, LJ - you can't see that 'fuzzy blob' on the lower right of the image from your latitude... :D Shame the LMC isn't in the image.

Borrowed from APOD I'm afraid. The UK horizon cuts off our view about halfway across :(

Archived