SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can you resolve the trapezium using 15x70's?

Crebles

Hi folks, lovely clear night here in Norfolk tonight (at last). Had a lovely time with the 15x70's in a darkish corner of the garden. Orion's belt a treat as always and worth staying up to see it rise above next doors roof!

I'm curious though, has anyone here resolved the trapezium in M42 into four individual stars using 15x70 binoculars?

I couldn't quite, though it certainly looked less of a pinpoint single star shape than the three stars 'below' it.

Last Monday, I had a look at the Trapezium while it was still quite low (12 degrees?) and I couldn't resolve the stars although I agree that it didn't look quite stellar either. This was with Revelation 15x70 on mirror mount. 

Hmm, interesting question.  Certainly not in my 10x50's.  As I recall, it's only barely resolvable at 31x power with a 90mm scope.  I may not have noticed the Trapezium stars at that, if I weren't first looking at M42 at higher power.  So, with just under half the mag. and 20mm smaller aperture, I would guess would probably not cut it, without more power.

well i can resolve theta 1 orionis in to 2 stars with sorrounding nebulosity with my celestron skymaster 15x70 . still it is an amazing site . and another 2 star near it . so i should say , the middle component of sword , i resolve it in to 4 stars with sorrounding nebulosity .

well i can resolve theta 1 orionis in to 2 stars with sorrounding nebulosity with my celestron skymaster 15x70 . still it is an amazing site . and another 2 star near it . so i should say , the middle component of sword , i resolve it in to 4 stars with sorrounding nebulosity .

Wow, well done Cosmosboy, you got better eyes than I have then. You don't work for Celestron do you?!

Wow, well done Cosmosboy, you got better eyes than I have then. You don't work for Celestron do you?!

no i don't . not better eyes ( i wear glass ) . it is because of  less light pollution i guess .  as i found , i can resolve only 2 stars of trapezium . i will try harder in coming days . but then most of the guys with this bino are able to do it . don't they ?

• 1 year later...

I was out last night in excellent conditions with both the 15x70 & the 20x110 (both mounted) and had a real good go at this. Conditions were as good as I've seen for some time, but try as I might, still could only manage 3 with the 15x70. With the 20x110 I could separate all four elements, but still not what I'd call easy! I think 20x is definitely my

limit.

Archived