NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M20 - Trifid Nebula - Astrotourism with the AstroTrac

StuartJPP

Took my AstroTrac + cameras and a bunch of lenses with me on holiday to Fuerteventura, all crammed in to my hand luggage, barring the tripod which went in the hold. Had to explain what it was to airport security and that there were no sharp bits to it, but got through okay.

I was a bit disappointed by the light pollution near to where we were staying, so everything in the north and west was out of the question. I could see Polaris, but the other two alignment stars were extremely difficult to see. Should have hired a car and driven a few miles away :tongue:

Checking the weather report daily it was forecast for cloud almost every night, it was pretty clear most of the time we were there though. Wish our UK "clear" nights were as clear as their "cloudy" nights. Of course it is a bit windy there but I managed to find a semi-decent spot which luckily had wind breaks and I was facing out to sea which helped but it was still a bit breezy.

Unfortunately my batteries ran out on the last night, so only managed half a session, which was probably a good thing as I really needed to get some sleep. I really wanted to add more data to the Trifid on the last night, but it didn't happen.

2013-05-05 - M20 - Trifid Nebula

Modified Canon 1100D with Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens @ ISO1600.

AstroTrac TT320 Mount.

55x 60 second lights

20x Darks

20x Flats

20x Bias

2013-05-05 - M20 and M8 - Trifid and Lagoon Nebula Widefield

Modified Canon 1100D with Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS lens @ ISO1600.

AstroTrac TT320 Mount.

25x 120 second lights

20x Darks

20x Flats

20x Bias

I made the cardinal mistake...quantity over quality. In reality I should have focussed all my attention on Trifid and not bothered with any other targets. It is better to get one good image rather than lots of "okay" images (by my entry level standards anyway). Still processing the others and will post when ready, though these are probably the better images.

What I used to call "space tourist" mode is something that just about everybody goes through - I know I did when I Started.... I then doubled the spent time on each target every season but eventually a run of bad years meant I got very little done and let it get to me...

Thats when I drifted off to widefield with fast(ish) camera lenses... The obs has been emoty for years withe the scopes sitting in a corner of tbe living room under dust sheets...

Anywy dont be too hatd on yourself your following a path many have trodden before...

The images are fine and I'm looking forward to seeing some more of these more southerly gems - I have to head for the South Gower Coast to get a glimpse of them...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk HD

Many thanks for taking the time to comment everyone :icon_salut:

What I used to call "space tourist" mode is something that just about everybody goes through...

I should have known better though, same thing applies to birding, rather get one good shot of one bird than lots of okay shots of lots of birds, that was told to me by Paul Hobson (wildlife photographer).

Lovely shots. I do agree with your philosophy on the targets. I would rather get one good one than a few ok s as you say. The astrotrac has done well at the 500mm. I took my one on board a plane before and I had to bring the astro trac info / doc sheet to show customs, they were fascinated by it. Also on the battery front, may I suggest that if you go abroad again, you could by a 12v moped battery in any hardware store in France / Spain (going by your location at Feutraventura). They are about 25 euros, but will last through the night. You could pack a battery charger then for the other nights, they are only the size of a plug.

Thanks again everyone...

Also on the battery front, may I suggest that if you go abroad again, you could by a 12v moped battery in any hardware store in France / Spain (going by your location at Feutraventura).

Tom I usually use a set of 10 Eneloop NiMh batteries which last for about 8 hours and I have got a small 12V SLA battery in the car. I was debating taking my charger with me but didn't think I would have got all the imaging time in that I did...I should have bought a set of AA's but just forgot about it. I would have taken the SLA, but I wasn't sure about it being a "restricted" item. I didn't even think of taking the user manual for the AstroTrac, however it was in the original box so looked a bit more official.

Brilliant photos. Can I ask what tripod you use with the Astrotrac? I've been looking at one to add to the Christmas list. Either the astrotrac or IOptron skytracker.

I use a Gitzo Systematic 3 series carbon fibre tripod, part of my birding kit. It may be overkill but I try to get multi use out of all the bits I have got.

Very good results. The Astrotrac is so impressive. In the widefield I'd have a look at the greens, which I think are a bit high. Pixinsight's SCNR green might help or the freebie Hasta La Vista Green on the Deep Sky Colors website.

Olly

Thanks for the additional comments everyone :icon_salut:

Very good results. The Astrotrac is so impressive. In the widefield I'd have a look at the greens, which I think are a bit high. Pixinsight's SCNR green might help or the freebie Hasta La Vista Green on the Deep Sky Colors website.

Olly

Olly, thanks for the HLVG plug-in for PS. Made quite a difference. My eyes are not as tuned to greens like yours :smiley:

I agree - These are stunning images :icon_salut:. It must be wonderful to be able to take imaging kit on holiday and get to the more southern DSO's that are so tricky in the UK... but I'm not sure if I had an astrotrac I'd be allowed to get it in the luggage, let alone get it through customs!

Archived