Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 314L+ with ED80 questions

kingboya

Here you go an image of my set up

IMG_0669_zps65407caf.jpg

total measurement of 54.5 taken the same as shown in sha-parts review.That is from camera sensor to the focal plane of the reducer(thats the flat black part where the screw thread starts)

Here you go an image of my set up

IMG_0669_zps65407caf.jpg

total measurement of 54.5 taken the same as shown in sha-parts review.That is from camera sensor to the focal plane of the reducer(thats the flat black part where the screw thread starts)

Thank you so much andy. I am picking up my 314L tomorrow, and jus waiting for one or two bits to arrive and then I will assemble everything.

Then, I will have a load of questions to ask you all! :p

Tony

I'm sure you'll love it :) I find it a real delight I have to say - and keep saying :D Enjoy :)

I already love it! All I have done so far is take excellent images of the back of the eyepiece cap. Lovely! The camera is working flawlessly so far. Compared to my 1000D, I now have no COM port errors, it cools brilliantly, and as you say, Artemis is great too ;) I am one happy bunny!

• Like 1

can you guys detail the parts you used in sequence to get these chip distances please? I take it the FR/FF still attach to the FLO thingy that the goes into the focuser as standard?

So after the FRFL --- <some type of adapter> ---EFW2----CCD ?

I think I am missing soemthing and there is some other thread conversion gizmo in there?

can you guys detail the parts you used in sequence to get these chip distances please? I take it the FR/FF still attach to the FLO thingy that the goes into the focuser as standard?

So after the FRFL --- <some type of adapter> ---EFW2----CCD ?

I think I am missing soemthing and there is some other thread conversion gizmo in there?

Go back to the start of the thread. Gina and Andyo describe their setups, and the connectors used. And very helpful they are too ;)

• Like 1

I keep taking pictures of the back of the eyepeice cap hoping desperately for some clear skies only had one half clear night since i got mine lol.Dont forget the boot polish when those adapters arrive.

I keep taking pictures of the back of the eyepeice cap hoping desperately for some clear skies only had one half clear night since i got mine lol.Dont forget the boot polish when those adapters arrive.

Yes I won't, and I can do my shoes at the same time ;)

Go back to the start of the thread. Gina and Andyo describe their setups, and the connectors used. And very helpful they are too ;)

Thanks - I think I follow the idea.....

Thanks also to Olly about the boot polish tip as well. I had to use pliers to remove this "cold weld" on a few bits and bobs (outside of astro as well) and never thought of boot polish like that. Great tip.

Thanks - I think I follow the idea.....

Thanks also to Olly about the boot polish tip as well. I had to use pliers to remove this "cold weld" on a few bits and bobs (outside of astro as well) and never thought of boot polish like that. Great tip.

I should have all the bits and bobs by early next week. I will take some shots with angles etc when I get it up and running. Thank you Olly for the excellent tip about the cold welding! You have simply saved people big cash there! :grin:

My new Atik 54mm to M42/T2 adapter arrived yesterday - great service from FLO as usual - thank you FLO :) So I'm ready to swap over to my widefield setup. I've calculated that my new (to me) as yet untested 105mm f2.8 Takumar lens will cover the Heart Nebula nicely. So I'll be trying that when the weather permits.

I should have all the bits and bobs by early next week. I will take some shots with angles etc when I get it up and running. Thank you Olly for the excellent tip about the cold welding! You have simply saved people big cash there! :grin:

I would appreciate that mate - so would many others who chance onto this thread as well. A list of the things you need in sequence in the imaging train from focuser backwards. I need to have things spelled out to me a bit sometimes... :p

I want to get an Atik 314 and associated paraphernalia later this year. The fact that there's a smaller sensor compared to the DSLR will not matter for me. I *want" to be zoomed in and up close - they are the very objects I am interested in. For wide field I am quite happy with my modded 450d - its works extremely well.

Steve

EDIT: Anyone got any strong opinions whether to move up from XP to Win7 with a CCD with the SW that comes with it? My laptop has XP atm. XP works well with stable software. It is not as good as isolating a misbehaving program as win7 though. Maybe this should be a separate thread...

Edited by kirkster501

snip..........

EDIT: Anyone got any strong opinions whether to move up from XP to Win7 with a CCD with the SW that comes with it? My laptop has XP atm. XP works well with stable software. It is not as good as isolating a misbehaving program as win7 though. Maybe this should be a separate thread...

Think I prefer Win7 over XP now.. if I HAVE to run windohs.. my netbook runs everything ok in the obsy with Win7 Starter.

I wish I had known about boot polish earlier - I've mashed quite a few extensions using heavy handed tactics with heat and cold and grips. it's so easy to damage the threads.

Steve - I have similar kit to you and have never had problems with Win 7. I've never used XP for Astro.

Well, I've just applied ordinary boot polish to my threads fro the widefield setup. I don't think there's enough to dry and flake off though.

To spell out again how all the bits fit together for using the SW FR with the Atik EFW2 and 314L+ camera, here's a couple of photos showing the following (including where I bought them) - from left to right :-

1. SW 0.85x FR/FF - http://www.firstligh...l-reducers.html
  2. M48 to T2 adapter - Teleskop Express - https://www.teleskop...roducts_id/3504
  3. 3mm T2 extension tube - http://www.teleskop-...Length-3mm.html
  4. 8mm T2 extension tube - http://www.teleskop-...Length-8mm.html
  5. Atik T2 to M54 adapter to fit EFW2 filter wheel - FLO :- http://www.firstligh...-t-adapter.html
  6. Atik EFW2 filter wheel :- http://www.firstligh...lter-wheel.html
  7. Atik 314L+ mono CCD camera

post-13131-0-21950700-1363524496_thumb.j post-13131-0-18824700-1363524503_thumb.j

You can see where I scratched the paint off trying to get the extension tubes and adapter apart :(

Edited by Gina
  • Like 2