Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bestselling Christmas Astronomy Gifts

FLO

I have been looking at sales this month and have compiled a top ten list of our bestselling astronomy products, which is essentially a list of popular astronomy gifts for Christmas :icon_santa:

1. Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards. This comes as no surprise, Steve Richards book is always in our top ten and it makes an excellent Christmas present.

making_every_photon_count_thumb.jpg

2. Astrozap Dew Heater Tapes. Good quality heater tapes with thermal insulation, even heat distribution and low power consumption.

astrozapheater_thumb.jpg

3. Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian. This is actually joint second with the Astrozap Dew Heater tapes, which is remarkable. It is always in our top ten bestseller list but it has never achieved joint second (it was number 10 last year). The success of this excellent Dobsonian telescope (together with an increase in binocular sales) suggests there is a back-to-basics trend this season.

DOBSKY200_thumb.jpg

4. Premium Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece. We are chuffed to bits this is proving so popular because it is made here in the UK exclusively for us. John, if you are reading this, well done and Merry Christmas :smiley:

premium_cheshire_collimator_thumb.JPG

5. Skywatcher 2x Deluxe Achromatic Barlow. Always a popular choice but even more so now the Tal barlow is so scarce.

skywatcher_2x_deluxe_barlow_thumb.JPG

6. StarSharp Bahtinov Focus Mask. Premium quality focus masks made here in the UK by Keith Morris :icon_salut:

starsharp_bahtinov_focusing_mask.jpg

7. T-Rings. Not very exciting but T-Rings are always in our top ten. I can't think of anything interesting to say about T-Rings... Ah, yes, ours are Japanese-made for a superior fit and finish :grin:

TMOUNT_thumb.jpg

8. Baader Neutral Density Moon Filter. We only stock one Moon filter and it is the BEST. Multicoated, planoptically polished and genuinely neutral (it reduces brightness without affecting colour).

baader_moon_filter_thumb.jpg

9. Vixen NPL Eyepieces. Vixen NPL Plossl eyepieces deliver a noticeable improvement over the low quality eyepieces typically supplied with telescopes.

vixen_npl_eyepiece_thumb.jpg

10. Baader Optical Wonder Fluid. The finest lens cleaning fluid we have found. Often sold together with the Baader Microfiber cloth which is larger than those normally offered at camera stores and has a finer weave.

opticalwonder_thumb.jpg

So there we are. If you are looking for a Christmas present for an astronomer you can't go far wrong selecting something from the above list. And if you are still stuck for an idea consider a FLO astronomy gift voucher. Our gift vouchers are actually at no.11 this month but are much more fun than T-Rings :grin:

Hope that helps,

Steve

1. Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards. This comes as no surprise, Steve Richards book is always in our top ten

That's because whenever we get a new member saying "I'm just starting out and I'm interested in astrophotography" they get dozens of responses all saying "read this book before you do anything else" :)

James

That's because whenever we get a new member saying "I'm just starting out and I'm interested in astrophotography" they get dozens of responses all saying "read this book before you do anything else" :)

And that is why we stock it :smiley:

It is also excellent advice. Anyone buying the book prior to starting astrophotography will save several times the cover price because they will gain knowledge enough to make wise purchase decisions.

Lets hope plenty of people buy the Cheshire so there are less collimation questions by people with lasers :)

Awe, Mel, only a basketball professional or an Orang Utan could single handedly collimate a 20 inch without a laser!! I already use a Honda 90 to commute between the primary and the focuser :grin:.

Olly

• 11 months later...

One year on and I thought it would be interesting to compare this December's top ten best-selling astronomy items (last year's list is at the beginning of this thread) :smiley:

1. Making Every Photon Count. This excellent book on astrophotography by Steve Richards is still No.1 :glasses2:  

making_every_photon_count_thumb.jpg

2. Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian. The Skyliner 200p is not only this month's bestselling telescope, it is our No.1 bestseller for the entire year! 

DOBSKY200_thumb.jpg

3. Skywatcher Explorer 130p. Demand for this model is significantly stronger this year, so much so we have unfortunately sold out  :sad2:  Please see our post here for a good alternative telescope. 

skywatcher_explorer_130p_telescope_thumb

4. StarSharp Bahtinov Focus Mask. Keith Morris' premium quality focus masks are still in our top ten (up from No.6 last year)  :icon_salut:

starsharp_bahtinov_focusing_mask.jpg

5. HitecAstro EQDIR adapter for EQMOD. This year's new more compact and convenient design has proven very popular. I am sure the new Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT and EQ8 mounts (the HitecAstro EQDIR is fully compatible) have also played a part in this product's success. 

hitecastro_eqdir_eqmod_adapters_thumb.JP

6. Baader Neutral Density Moon Filter. Still the BEST Moon filter and still in the top ten! With so many competitors packaging cheap plastic Moon filters I feared sales of this product might be affected so I am especially pleased to see it doing so well :glasses2: 

baader_moon_filter_thumb.jpg

7. Astrozap Dew Heater Tapes. There has been a lot of competition this year from similar products claiming all sorts of magical properties but our Astrozap heater tape with thermal insulation, even heat distribution and low power consumption is still a bestseller  :grin:

astrozapheater_thumb.jpg

8. Premium Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece. Made here in the UK exclusively for us  :smiley: 

premium_cheshire_collimator_thumb.JPG

9. Skywatcher 2x Deluxe Achromatic Barlow. Another product from last year's top ten list that continues to sell well. 

skywatcher_2x_deluxe_barlow_thumb.JPG

10. David Chandler Night Sky Planisphere. The first time in the top ten for this quality-made Planisphere. Another FLO UK exclusive :smiley:

chandler_planisphere_thumb.jpg

I was rather hoping our astronomy gift voucher would make it into the top ten (it was No.11 last year) but it has actually fallen five places! To be fair this is probably because our Christmas Astronomy Gift Guide has made it easier to find suitable gifts. At least the T-Ring has been knocked off the top ten list  :grin:

Merry Christmas everyone and thank-you for your support  :icon_santa:

Archived