SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My new HEQ5 Altitude adjustment - is stiff normal?

peroni

Hey All

I received my new HEQ5 Pro mount yesterday. This is my first mount and scope so I have a steep learning curve.

I have read that the Altitude T bolts can bend and so am a little cautious about this exercise. (I have the standard ones)

The mount has arrived set at about 30 degs and I need to raise it to 51 degs altitude.

It looks like I use the bottom (rear) bolt to do this but the whole altitude adjustment is very very very stiff. (number 4 in the diagram below)

post-15911-0-27704100-1355314030_thumb.p

I cautiously tried to change the altitude by hand last night but it didn't budge. I don't have any T bolts inserted yet.

It sounds like the T bolts only bend if you leave both tightened and then try to tighten one of them further. I've seen comments that say 'slacken one bolt first' - this makes sense.

I wondered if the main altitude pivot bolt was too tight, but surely I don't have to take the mount apart to adjust/slacken the main bolt.

So my question is...

How much force do I need to put on the T bolts to get them to turn. If I am at 30 degs and need to go to 51 degs do I leave the front (top) T bolt out, leave the scope off the mount, and then insert the bottom (rear) T bolt into mount and tighten until the mount altitude starts to raise?

Like I say, I tried this briefly last night but was worried I might break it.

Please help me. :eek:

They can get very stiff.

You usually need to work both attitude bolts at the same time to be able to do it without excessive force.

I think replacement bolts are the first upgrade most people purchase for the HEQ5, as the stock ones can eventually bend and become jammed.

A few online places sell them, I got mine at modern astronomy.

Anton

Just make sure opposite bolt is VERY loose before you tighten the other one, and keep making sure opposite one is

loose al, the time, and proceed slowly until you reach desired degree then tighten opposite bolt to finish off. never too tith though

My advice is get the upgrade bolts ASAP..

Velvet

I have found this posted earlier on... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/167917-help-bent-altitude-bolt-on-my-brand-new-neq6/

It seems as though I have the same issue. i.e. my mount is not movable by hand.

I'll double check again tonight and make sure I don't have any scope or weights loaded.

I'm reluctant to buy the upgraded bolts (even though many like you guys above recommend) as FLO in the post linked suggested these may strip the threads if the mount is too stiff to move.

I'll fire off a mail to FLO Helpdesk as well if I have no luck tonight.

It does seem as though the mounts are supplied with the main pivot axis set too tight and it is a pity that you have to somewhat damage the access covers in order to remedy it. It might be worth applying as much manual force as you can in the direction you need to move to give the adjuster a bit of help. :smiley:

There is an easier way. On mine I just removed the bolts completely then you will find you can move the latitude of the mount quite freely and to the 51 degrees you require. You then screw the bolts back in and tension them slightly so the mount stays fixed at 51.

There is an easier way. On mine I just removed the bolts completely then you will find you can move the latitude of the mount quite freely and to the 51 degrees you require. You then screw the bolts back in and tension them slightly so the mount stays fixed at 51.

This is why I think I may have a problem. ...

With the bolts out completely the latitude adjustment did not budge. I'll double check tonight as I can't remember if the mount was loaded with counterweights. It was the first time I had assembled a mount.

This is a useful consensus from everyone as to what I should expect from the 'stiffness' in adjusting latitude.

They are sometimes a little stiff out of the box. If you remove the latitude bolts, fix the mount to the tripod then using your hands move it up/down you will probably find it will loosen. If not please email the helpdesk to arrange a collection/replacement.

HTH,

Steve :smiley:

They are sometimes a little stiff out of the box. If you remove the latitude bolts, fix the mount to the tripod then using your hands move it up/down you will probably find it will loosen. If not please email the helpdesk to arrange a collection/replacement.

HTH,

Steve :smiley:

I have just tried to adjust the altitude again. No telescope or weights on the mount, no altitude T bolts inserted.

The altitude just won't budge. Not even by a small amount. I have tried up and down. I have tried off the mount, on the mount, with RA and Dec locked and unlocked (worth a try :cool:) but no movement at all.

I've emailed FLO but unless we get some more ideas I reckon this is a returns job.

Seems nuts that the supplier (not FLO) let items pass the Quality police if you can't even move the altitude by hand. Quite a basic 2 second check.

Does anyone have a link to the upgraded bolts, they sound worthwhile when this is fixed?

I've emailed FLO but unless we get some more ideas I reckon this is a returns job.

It 'does' need returning :smiley:

I see you are already speaking with Martin on our heldesk so please repack it then let him know which week-day you would like us to send Fedex.

Apologies for the inconvenience, we'll send you a little something for the inconvenience.

Steve

It 'does' need returning :smiley:

I see you are already speaking with Martin on our heldesk so please repack it then let him know which week-day you would like us to send Fedex.

Apologies for the inconvenience, we'll send you a little something for the inconvenience.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'll email Martin and arrange. This is another example of sterling support from FLO :grin:

Hey All

A quick update on this problem.

FLO arranged for a replacement mount to be shipped out 'quick time'.

I tested it and the altitude is easy to adjust by hand and doesn't put any undue stress on the adjustment bolts.

I'd say if anyone has doubts about the stiffness of their new mount purchased from FLO they should speak to them and arrange an exchange if appropriate.

For those reading this thread with an older HEQ5 mount or bought somewhere else, they could try the method described on this link http://www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-alt.htm

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Received my HEQ5 mount yesterday (and the legs today, thanks to FedEx sending them on Holiday! :) ).

As you might guess I am in this thread from a search as my mount was too stiff to move, and like the OP, I too was worried to force it and bend bolts etc.

I am glad to report that I remounted it and gave it a good bit of effort without the bolts and it finally moved. It is still very stiff but I expect it will slacken off with use. So happy that I wont have to send it back.

I can definitely advise trying the hard physical effort to move it without the bolts first off before you call it a day. :)

My Neq6 was also quite stiff which I was led to believe was the norm.

With mount head secure on tripod and counter weight bar ONLY extended and no alt & az bolts inserted simply hold mount with one hand and pull bottom of counter weight bar up or down to desired lattitude.

Then insert alt & az bolts till you feel it pinch.

Your less inclined to put undue stress on bolts.

Kenny

Archived