Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 weight problem

Ouroboros

Is the weight of the EQ6 a problem for setting up? I'm thinking of getting one.

I have a paved area right next to a shed in which I keep my telescope equipment, which I have to set up each time. I now use an EQ5 mount.

I've loaded up a bucket with rocks and weights just to see what 16 kgs really feels like.

Phew!! It's weighty init?

OK I'm not completely decrepit, but do have a few back and neck issues which I'd rather not aggravate.

It certainly is heavy, but compact and relatively easy keep close to the chest. But if you have back & neck problems you might need make sure you can regularly carry that weight around.

An alternative mount that you may wish to consider that's in the same ball park as the EQ6 is the iOptron IEQ45 which is supposed to be a lot lighter. I have never seen one of these let alone used one so cannot comment on how good they are but I think one or two folks on here have them.

It can be considered a heavy mount. I have to set mine up each time and I find it easier to take the mount out, then the weights and then the scope i.e. transport it in little pieces. Bending at the knees etc I can lift my NEQ6 by 'hugging' it around the tripod.

An alternative mount that you may wish to consider that's in the same ball park as the EQ6 is the iOptron IEQ45 which is supposed to be a lot lighter. I have never seen one of these let alone used one so cannot comment on how good they are but I think one or two folks on here have them.

Interesting. Not so light on the wallet though!! :smiley: Though a 1000 quid for the EQ6 is not exactly cheap either.

You're right. It's about a third lighter. I guess it's a matter of going through the specs carefully.

I don't know yet whether it's mechanically that much better.

It can be considered a heavy mount. I have to set mine up each time and I find it easier to take the mount out, then the weights and then the scope i.e. transport it in little pieces. Bending at the knees etc I can lift my NEQ6 by 'hugging' it around the tripod.

Yes, my little experiment with the bucket rather indicates you're right. I imagine if you always keep it at about chest height then it's manageable. Keep it on a table in the shed and avoid putting it down at ground level.

Both my knees are knackered and I find that my balance is not as good as it used to be, that with tripping over a box of matches means I would not be able to lug one around so as I have one it is on the pier permanently. It is a great mount, quite and strong but on the pier it stays, no way could I carry it a distance now :(.

Jim

I have iOptron iEQ45 and leave it on the tripod, and even at my age ,replacement knee joint and all I can easily carry it from the shed to patio, about 10 feet, I find it easier to manage left on the tripod and less chance of dropping it. :)

Dave

I actually find it is easier to carry the EQ6 mount with tripod attached, I just stand beside it, hold the tripod, lean a little which lifts it a couple of inches off the ground and then walk, saves having to lift the head separately to carefully fit it to the tripod. Make sure that the tripod legs are extended to the height you need, it's difficult to adjust them afterwards. :smiley:

Interesting responses. I'm starting to think I might cope with a eq6 mount from what you've said.

I wonder whether some kind of cover might work so the mount and tripod can be left out at least some of the time.

Also at the end of a long night observing it would be good just to put the cover on.

As long as you remove the weights, and hold it so that you have the head close to your body (as this is the heavy bit), its certainly managable. I regularly carry mine up/down a set of stairs as its stored in a bedroom between sessions, along with the MN190 OTA which is also a resonable weight. The first time you lift it you will be shocked at the sheer mass of the thing, but once you have moved it a few times you get a hang of how best to carry it, just take you time :).

I carry mine with scope, camera, OAG, filterwheel, weights, cables, etc all attached.

I used to carry it 50m, but have decided that it was a bit of a pain carrying it back to the shed in the dark, so now set up in another part of the garden (only 10m away).

Yup me too..I carried mine in & out complete with scope, camera etc. but after 18 months of it my backs had enough. Thank goodness I've just about finished my RoR Obsy. Can you setup a pier or better still convert the shed roof to Roll-Off? :laugh:

I'd love an observatory, and it would be best placed in a corner of the garden overlooked by a rather scraggy tree in our neighbour's garden. The main reason for not having a pier is that a tripod set-up gives some flexibility in location (to avoid said tree).

I'm thinking evil thoughts about this tree and it is showing signs of dying. :tongue: At an opportune moment I might explain my little problem to my neighbour, and offer to remove it at my effort and expense.

As I live in a flat I take the mount without the weights or scope attatched downstairs & piece it together in the garden. However when I've finished using it & tend to carry the whole lot as one lump into the shed until the morning then I take it apart & take it upstairs again unless there's another clear sky to look forward to later....It's a bit of a faff around for me but I've got used to it.

Archived