NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Tele Vue eyepiece - the Delos

John

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So can I just clarify, they are basically an ethos in terms of contrast and sharpness. But with less field of view so the price comes down a bit?

Yup - and reducing the field-of-view allows the exit pupil to be pushed out a bit to offer more eye-relief compared to an Ethos, along with an adjustable eyeguard so that non-spectacle wearers (for example) can reduce the effective eye-relief for comfort.

So can I just clarify, they are basically an ethos in terms of contrast and sharpness. But with less field of view so the price comes down a bit?

It will be interesting to see just how close to an Ethos they are in performance. In their marketing blurb they say they've used the technology from the Ethos to create the new eyepieces so does that mean just as good or almost as good? :)

John

This does seem t be a Radian killer if anything. For me the Delos sounds great. I like my Radians (despite the warm cast) but a crisper, more neutral, wider-angle version ticks many boxes. The Ethos range has slightly too tight eye relief for me. Given the Pentax XWs retail at EUR 365 here, and many Naglers a good deal cheaper, the Delos could be priced at Nagler levels (or just above) and still be attractive compared to the Pentaxes. They are blumming heavy however: a 10mm EP weighing in at 0.9 lb? And someone said the Radian was heavy?

This does seem t be a Radian killer if anything. For me the Delos sounds great. I like my Radians (despite the warm cast) but a crisper, more neutral, wider-angle version ticks many boxes.

So is it likely the range will expand to be Panoptic killers too? The spec seems to take care of both the Radian and Panoptic.

It sounds perfect, i too am not over fussed by huge fov, 72deg is just fine. And to have all the other good bits from the Ethos coupled with 20mm eye relief....hmm.

Off course Pentax have been there and done those specs already with the sublime (and expensive) XW series, which are the best eyepiece i've ever used. Had the pleasure of using an Ethos at Salisbury SP last year.....it was incredibly nice and not just for the fov. But i also borrowed a Pentax XW 14 and that was simply perfect. Shame to hear their factory was caught up in the earthquake and unlikely to get going again.

Just a shame the £250-265 Delos price tag is just too rich for me.

Hopefully this may result in some good prices on used Panoptics.

Slightly off topic, is there a proper difference between 68 and 72 degrees fov?

I am sure I read that 68 was the widest you can see that is comfortable because you don't have to move you head or eyeball... does 72 degrees still fit in here?

I am sure I read that 68 was the widest you can see that is comfortable because you don't have to move you head or eyeball... does 72 degrees still fit in here?

you can comfortably view through an ethos for example, the entire FOV is there to make it look like your looking seemlessly into space, moving your eyeball around and straining the eye is not the idea! :)

Large the FOV the better IMO, except on planets where it doesnt really matter unless your using a dob

Slightly off topic, is there a proper difference between 68 and 72 degrees fov?

Just enough to up the price :)

I first stepped up from 45-50 degrees to 69 in the Paragon, and the difference was huge, I then got a Meade UWA 14 and Nagler 22 and 82 is wonderful, but the improved sharpness equally. I still use the Paragon 40mm as wide-field EP, but now notice the smaller FOV (nothing worrying). With the 60 deg FOV the Radians seem even more "cramped". 72 deg would be fine at the short end, where Naglers have too little eye relief.

Given the introductory EPs and their focal lengths, they seem to be in Radian territory rather than Panoptic land.

I am sure I read that 68 was the widest you can see that is comfortable because you don't have to move you head or eyeball.

As shaunster says, it's about perception rather than "looking around".

With regards to 68 vs. 72, manufacturers specs are notoriously "rough and ready" when it comes to field-of-view. Many simply calculate it with a rough equation which leads to rough results - instead of actually measuring it (the "proper" way to get a FOV spec!)

In practice then, you can consider both 68 and 72 degree eyepieces to be part of the same "class", since their real apparent field-of-view is only "ballpark" in this area.

For AVOF in general, I'm not in the "more-is-better" camp at all. I like to see everything contained in a nice, crisp, viewing circle - the sharper the edge of that circle, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Very interesting, thanks for the help all. It is obvious that quite a large part of personal preference is involved when buying expensive eyepieces.

That's why I am in no hurry to make use of the Televue promotion, before trying out as much as I can.

I may be wrong but during the 20% off sale SCS has been advertising the TV range at the -20% price so come the 18th they may well be a tad more than £265

SCS won't actually have them in stock yet and are perhaps being a bit "naughty" for not making that clear on their website. See the availability dates below.

John

Tele Vue is set to unveil its newest eyepiece line on Saturday, April 16, 2011 at the Northeast Astronomy Forum in Suffern, NY! Visit the Tele Vue booth at NEAF to sneak a peek through what is sure to be love at first light!

Delos 6mm

Part Code: EDL-06.0

Sugg. Price: $345

ATWB Price: $329

List Price: $445

Availability: June

PREORDER them here : 6MM Delos Eyepiece

Delos 10mm

Part Code: EDL-10.0

Sugg. Price: $345

ATWB Price: $329

List Price: $445

Availability: June

PREORDER them here : 10MM Delos Eyepiece

they do look stunningly good but as I have a 10mm and 8mm Radian as well as a 6-3mm Nagler zoom and a motorised EQP on the dob I tend to use those eyepieces on I am not sure I'll be tempted. At this end it's about planetary and for this I still prefer my Orthos even to my 13mm Ethos.

Now I'm no expert but 72 degrees FOV on a 6mm EP....that's good right ??

It's not an exceptionally wide field of view by todays standards. The Ethos 6mm gives 100 degrees.

I wonder if the brand-new 68-degree Explore Scientifics are as "Delos-inspired" as their "Ethos-inspired" widefields?

Personally, I suspect that since their 68 degree waterproof range is planned to stop at 16mm they're probably based on Meade SWA optics instead...

I think the 6mm would make a superb EP for globulars in my 250px @ 200x. Some sky to the background but not too much. And if the sharpness and colour is what all the ethos owners are saying then I don't think you could go far wrong. The only TV alternative at that FL is the ethos at used car prices or the radian at plossl FOV's.

Reviewed in the June Sky & Telescope by Dennis Di Cicco - he likes them...

"The Delos eyepieces are “easy” to look

through despite the need to position your eye

carefully in the exit pupil. They have flat fields,

delivering absolute pinpoint stars from edge

to edge with no hit of color aberration. The

view, especially during the daytime, is very

pure with no noticeable color tint. And there

wasn’t a hint of ghosts or reflections, even

with the brightest stars."

Callum

Archived