SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does our solar system have a name?

Pakmoto

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just wait till we meet aliens ....will we follow there names of planets ...or will they have to change there entire library of names to suit our needs lol

just wait till we meet aliens ....will we follow there names of planets ...

1. We won't be able to pronounce them, or understand what they're talking about.

2. In any case, the names will all have changed many times before the issue needs to be addressed.

All aliens speak English so we would understand them very easilly. (Well they did on Star Trek anyway). :)

IIRC the Klingons spoke Klingon as well (or Klingonese in an early show).

I guess the sound recordist had a Babel fish in his ear ... :p

All aliens speak English so we would understand them very easilly. (Well they did on Star Trek anyway). :)

...which reminds me of the Senator who allegedly said, 'If English is good enough for Jesus Christ it's good enough for me.'

... or the Archbishop recorded in Hansard as saying of the newly published Gulliver's Travels, 'For my part, I don't believe a word of it.'

I wonder why we use the adjectival form of 'sun' (solar) for our own system but the noun form of others. We are a funny lot.

Olly

Archived