NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unusual Problem!

As I live in central Cambridge and have a lovely big yellow sodium light :) at the end of my (short) garden, I have been using Google Earth to look for dark sites within a 20 minute drive.

Up until last weekend I thought I had the ideal spot, easily accessible by car, quiet and above all dark:hello2:

I could see 2-3X more stars than from my garden.

Unfortunately my pleasure was short-lived. I found I was sharing my site with others seeking darkness and seclusion- about a dozen "doggers"!

Back to the garden and Google Earth:icon_scratch:

• 4 months later...

I for one think it's disgusting! These "doggers" drive around the countryside at night looking for darkened secluded spots where they then meet up with like-minded strangers and indulge each other in there common "interest".

Astronomers on the other hand.... ;)

It's not just turning up at their 'gig' its when they all turn up at yours! One night we were visited by 26 cars from the 'Kennel Club' (some of them kept coming back!) all with their full beam on. I admit I that I'm into observing heavenly bodies, but I do know when to keep my light meter in my trousers. :hello2::D

Police have told us that they are well organised using mobile phones, internet which enables them to come at short notice.;):eek::rolleyes: I think I know what he meant! :hello2::D

James

as a wagon driver (thats just got me hated for saying that) i have had years of trying to avoid this "class" of person, when parking up for the night, one bloke kept harrassing , in the end i told him to "do one" or i would reverse my 44 tonner over his car

I read the preview for this in the thread list which ended at "the ideal spot..." and for some reason I just *knew* what was coming next. I should worry about myself sometimes...

James

Should I be embarrassed to admit I haven't got a clue what this thread is about? Or have I just had a sheltered upbringing? ;):rolleyes:

/polishes stamp collection

I too had a sheltered upbringing, air raid shelters, bus shelters etc.

Must admit it was fun.

Archived