Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which scope to buy that isn't for AP?

Well things have just changed here and I will not be buying a scope for AP, well not this year anyway so all the scopes I have been looking at have been with AP in mind but now I just need to focus on any scope - my first love is planets and then DSO so - what to look at now and what specifications should I be looking for?

Thanks.x

I agree. Personally I'd suggest an 8". This will be manageable and also show you a lot of objects. The natural progression is 4" up to see a big difference so this will lead nicely to a 12" in due course!

Otherwise if you want a one stop purchase, maybe a 10" but do try and see then in the flesh first.

For £400 I'd go with Olly's suggestion and go for a dobsonian. A skywatcher 8" dob comes in at less than £300 so you could also buy a collimation aid such as a cheshire and a decent eyepiece or two and you'd be set :).

Tony..

For £400 I'd go with Olly's suggestion and go for a dobsonian. A skywatcher 8" dob comes in at less than £300 so you could also buy a collimation aid such as a cheshire and a decent eyepiece or two and you'd be set :).

I would give this advice too.

Regards Steve

8" Dob it is then, thanks everyone - roll on November (hubby buying me it for my birthday) - just need to sort out which EP's, etc to add. x

Blimey it is a lot easier when AP isn't a factor.

8" Dob it is then, thanks everyone - roll on November (hubby buying me it for my birthday) - just need to sort out which EP's, etc to add. x

Blimey it is a lot easier when AP isn't a factor.

Dead right. As regards EPs I might be inclined to start looking for second hand ones right away. Expect to pay about a hundred pounds for a second hand TeleVue Radian (I've had two that way.) Good planetary choice. There are EPs with a smaller field that match it for sharpness more cheaply but since a Dob does not track it is nice to have the wider field so you get longer between nudges.

For wider field a TeleVue Panoptic in the twenties of mm but that would fetch a bit more I think. Or there are cheaper alternatives but TV can rarely be equalled and never beaten - not a remark that has any hope of going unchallenged around here but what the heck???

Olly

As always on sgl, fine recommendations.

The best scope is one that you'll use often, no matter the size, optically.

I've amazed myself of late by using my 60mm Carton frac, more often than naught.

Never discount a quality wee grab n go setup. Always nice to have something small quick n easy to compliment your primary scope.

Cheers,

Andy.

Good choice MrsR.

When it comes to EPs you've got plenty of time to look around to see what suits you, your astronomical interests, and your budget.

Despite what advice you may receive, there are other makes on the market than Televue!

I don't really see the point of a Barlow, there are decent eyepieces for high powers for not much money (if you keep to non-ultra-wide fov). I prefer to use my Ortho 7mm/5mm to barlowing my 12mm Nagler.

And definitely get the Cheshire.

I never use barlows, personally can't get on with them, so many good eyepieces around so why bother.

As for a collimator, the choice is yours. Some like cheshires and others lasers. For me it's a collicap and a laser.

I do like Barlows and find them very useful (I am a cheapskate) as you don't need as many eyepieces.

So they save lots of money. :)

Plus good modern ones add nothing except power which is great.

IMO your eyepieces will swap and change but you'll keep a good Barlow.

Regards Steve

Archived