Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200P / EQ5 for astrophotography?

Brainstorm

If you can't (or don't want to) spend more on a beefier mount for the 200P scope you were planning on, then you could always get a lighter scope for the EQ5 mount you were considering. It should be able to manage an 80ED refractor (3 Kg) a lot better than it would manage a 200P reflector (10 Kg).

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the 200p/EQ5 isn't up to astro photography, what about This?

It's way over my budget, and means I won't be able to afford it for a good few months, but seems it's the only way I'll get good photos of the night sky. I just hope it's worth it. I hope it's not too heavy to carry around too.

It's way over my budget, and means I won't be able to afford it for a good few months, but seems it's the only way I'll get good photos of the night sky. I just hope it's worth it. I hope it's not too heavy to carry around too.

That's the setup I have. It's a bit of a beast, and you'd probably struggle as a portable setup. Mine is permanently mounted. Remember, you will still need a guidescope as well.

But why not have an 200 on an HEQ5 mount (like this one)? I used that setup with my HEQ5 and 200P, and it worked well. And it will save you a lot of cash!

First thing... no one on here can tell you what scope to get. It's all down to personal preference, and what suits you won't suit someone else or vice-verca.

The general opinion is that the EQ5 is not up to the job due to the mount, and that an HEQ5 or EQ6 is more suited. Again the combined weight of main, guide scopes and associated cameras etc may dictate that the EQ6 is the better option. But what OTA you bolt on the top of it will depend on what type of astro photography you want to do and other factors such as storage. The 200P on an HEQ5 might be more of a portable option...but at the end of the day it's your choice

I currently image using a skywatcher 200p on a synscan goto upgraded EQ5. I guide using a modded 9x50 finder scope (£40ish) with an Atik 2HS camera attached and then image using my unmodded Nikon D80. This really is pushing the mount to it's limits but I can achieve 10 min subs.

A rubbish telescope on a good mount is far better than a good telescope on a rubbish mount. My best advice is to buy the best mount you can afford, better telescopes can be added later.

• 1 year later...

It seems that every one buys a visual scope, large heavy and long focal length then decides to use it for astrophotography,

Errors when looking through an eyepiece and the image moves a little are not overly important, any drift doing AP wipes out the whole point.

A 1200mm focal length means reasonable magnification, in AP it means that the image will drift over the sensor more, so you get a blurred image, not really the point.

The EQ6 linked is the ideal route, but that still will give you limited exposures, especially if you have something like a 200P attached, that focal length is still 1200mm and for over 30 sec you need to consider the addition of a guides scope and camera (have you a spare laptop that this would need?) A guide system also need the higher spec electronics as the simple motors cannot be controlled.

Brandt's description of a WO 72 on an EQ5 is I would say the most budget real AP option around. The mount is OK the scope is small and light, 2.2 Kg, and the focal length is short, 432mm. Should be able to get exposures of 30-45 sec. I think that the WO shows a little CA on brighter objects so take that into consideration.

What needs to be considered is that going from the WO 72mm to say an 80mm triplet is in itself costly and the mount is immediatly inadaquate.

Read around and look at the imaging scopes: Mak Newtonians, RC's, apo triplets. Take a look at the cost.

If a 200P produced the same quality images why do people buy the previous?

It seems that every one buys a visual scope, large heavy and long focal length then decides to use it for astrophotography,

Errors when looking through an eyepiece and the image moves a little are not overly important, any drift doing AP wipes out the whole point.

A 1200mm focal length means reasonable magnification, in AP it means that the image will drift over the sensor more, so you get a blurred image, not really the point.

The EQ6 linked is the ideal route, but that still will give you limited exposures, especially if you have something like a 200P attached, that focal length is still 1200mm and for over 30 sec you need to consider the addition of a guides scope and camera (have you a spare laptop that this would need?) A guide system also need the higher spec electronics as the simple motors cannot be controlled.

Brandt's description of a WO 72 on an EQ5 is I would say the most budget real AP option around. The mount is OK the scope is small and light, 2.2 Kg, and the focal length is short, 432mm. Should be able to get exposures of 30-45 sec. I think that the WO shows a little CA on brighter objects so take that into consideration.

What needs to be considered is that going from the WO 72mm to say an 80mm triplet is in itself costly and the mount is immediatly inadaquate.

Read around and look at the imaging scopes: Mak Newtonians, RC's, apo triplets. Take a look at the cost.

If a 200P produced the same quality images why do people buy the previous?

Why is a short focal length so important?

Focal length of 200p is 1000mm.

Can I recommend a read of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' that is available in the FLO book section. It is really something of an imaging bible for DSO's and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it yet. A brilliant read that will put terms and ideas into context and will save you making costly mistakes.

It is all in the mount. Get that right and you'll have many good images with your 7D.

200P attached, that focal length is still 1200mm

Can we just clarify something here

The Explorer 200P is 1000m focal length (F5)

The Skyliner (dob ) has a 1200mm focal length (F5.9)

@astromartin - It's not so much the focal length that's important, its the focal ratio. Its a bit difficult to put into wards, but the lower the f ratio the faster the scope is the shorter the exposures are on a given like for like optics. This is why you typically find imaging reflectors with f ratios around f4 with 8" or 10" apertures. The Explorer 200P, being an 8" f5 is quite a good all rounder.

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this a bit but oh well - I since bought a HEQ5 and can't recommend it enough. It's an excellent mount and tracks well. I haven't set it up properly yet and only ever used it roughly aligned but even then it is brilliant. Seems to track well even when aligned badly.

Can I recommend a read of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' that is available in the FLO book section. It is really something of an imaging bible for DSO's and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it yet. A brilliant read that will put terms and ideas into context and will save you making costly mistakes.

It is all in the mount. Get that right and you'll have many good images with your 7D.

I'm surprised that the excellent 'Making Every Photon Count' book by Steve Richards wasn't mentioned earlier, I've read it a couple of times even though I'm only an observer, An excellent read while you are saving up for the new scope, also has good information on choosing & setting up the mount.

Archived