SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mizar and Alcor through bins

MrsR

Saw for the first time last night Mizar and Alcor through my bins and wow I have to saw I was surprised how far away they are when you look through the bins - I had to ask someone to double check I was seeing right lol

Amazing sight that had me gobsmacked for a while!

Hi Mrs R

I was watching Sky at Night few months ago or it could have been on a DVD from the magazine anyway I digress they said that Mizar and Alcor

are binary stars and there are seven stars in all

Amazing I thought as you can only see two.

Doug.

Essex

MrsR

When you get your scope, you'll see that Mizar is a close double too, that will make four! The Mizar double and Alcor are all part of the same system and are all doubles themselves but they are too close to split with a telescope. I think I'm right in saying that the third star you saw is a background star not associated with it and is called Sidus Ludovocianum.

This was one of the first things I looked at when I started astronomy after reading Patrick Moore's description of it. I still go and have a quick peek most times I am observing cos I think it's amazing

Hi Mrs R

Looking in to a scope is so different then binoculars ,but with binos you do get to use both eyes,and I like that too did you see anything else when you looked through the scope and do you know what scope it was ?

Doug

Essex

Hi Mrs R

That's a nice scope and a good size helps cut out light pollution ,have you got a birthday coming up ?:o did hubby have a look ? Dobs are easy to use just point and look

don't let the twins knock you out, it may be clear tonight:D

Doug

Essex

Doug I will want a Dob of that size for DSO but I do have my 40th birthday coming up in Novemb actually and hubby is going to buy me something more for planet and AP but on a smaller budget sadly - which one I am still in 2 minds about! Hubby isn't into coming out observing - not his thing, he was happy at home watching the rugby lol

Mrs R ,well you could go for a 8" like a Sky watcher Skyliner 200P Parabolic Dobsonian

no goto but for £275 in a good price ,as they say a good bang for the bucks

as I am sure the rest will verify, have fun looking for that new scope

Doug

Essex

Hi Mrs R,

Do you have a tripod for your bins? I only ask as holding mine does make the stars shake somewhat.

A very kind member of this forum has sold me a tripod so I expect my shakey viewing evenings to be a thing of the past.

Mark

Doug I wouldn't be able to do AP with that Dob though so will have to wait for that for DSO next year. It will be a Mak of some sort I will get this year for the AP but which was is the question!

Mark I don't but will have come the end of the month - I will be order the Horizon 8115 heavyduty tripod - I have tried some flimsey tripod but in wind you still get movement so going heavyduty. Which tripod do you have?

Hi Mrs R

If I was starting out and wanted to do AP in the future I would go for a Tal R

with tripod £430 that way you would not have to sell the scope you get and it would save you money in the long run I've seen photo's of the money on here, and they are fantastic , sorry to play the devil's advacate :o But I see so many people having to sell and lose so much money for that next scope so you could always look around for a used one:D

Doug

Essex

• 3 weeks later...
Doug I wouldn't be able to do AP with that Dob though so will have to wait for that for DSO next year. It will be a Mak of some sort I will get this year for the AP but which was is the question!

Mark I don't but will have come the end of the month - I will be order the Horizon 8115 heavyduty tripod - I have tried some flimsey tripod but in wind you still get movement so going heavyduty. Which tripod do you have?

Mrs R

I have the Horizon 8115 and love it but it;s not a light weight

but they are sturdy and that is what you need, if you can handle twins you can handle the 8115

Sorry for not getting back sooner

Doug

Essex

Mrs R

I have the Horizon 8115 and love it but it;s not a light weight

but they are sturdy and that is what you need, if you can handle twins you can handle the 8115

Sorry for not getting back sooner

Doug

Essex

Well I had a go with a lightweight tripod tonight and not impressed - felt like it would snap, plus didn't do well for me being 6 foot tall!

Archived