Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hale-Bopp images

StarryEyes

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alan, it was a bright naked eye object for several months with a nice tail but not too long from memory - the image was just taken with a camera on a tripod with a shortish exposure time, in the region of 10sec, still used film back then probably tri-x!

Thanks Alan and Andrew. I had a look on google. Great shot Andrew thanks for posting.

I can remember seeing it and for long enough didn't know what it was. I was only young then and it worried me a bit until I knew what it was.

I can remember seeing it and for long enough didn't know what it was. I was only young then and it worried me a bit until I knew what it was

HAha, would have not minded being scared as long as I had seen it :o at least now we have Bruce Willis to save us all :)

Here's a couple from Cumbria way back then.

The one over the Rock Face, was taken at a Quarry in Caldbeck, by David Ramshaw, and from his little book he published called Hale Bopp Over Cumbria.

The one with the tree, was by Linda Davidson, of Cockermouth Astronomical Society. I had a couple of my own, but not as good as these I'm afraid.

Ron.

post-13213-133877535658_thumb.jpg

post-13213-133877535673_thumb.jpg

Only have one memory from when I was 5 or so, I was dragged down from upstairs and ushered around to the back garden to see it. An awesome sight with both tails easily visible and an extremely bright nucleus.

I had no idea at the time how amazing and significant it was being so young at the time, but I bet it was an even better sight through an optical aid.

I fondly remember cycling seven miles into the countryside to an old railway viaduct so that I'd have an impressive foreground for my photos of Hale-Bopp. I hid my bike, and with my camera bag over my shoulder and tripod in one hand, leapt over the fence next to a field gate - straight into a three foot deep ditch! You can imagine how I laughed.

I did get some stunning photos using colour film though.

Incidentally, the year before there was another beautiful naked eye comet in the sky too: Hyukatake I think.

Barry.

Hale Bopp over Cumbria

This is another pic. of the Comet Hale Bopp.

Again by Linda Davison of Cockermouth AS.

At this time, the comet was only two days from perihelion, which was 1378 million miles. The 30 Km. ball of rock and ice, was travelling at 158,000 km/hour. It's coma was Hundreds of thousands of km across, and it's visible tail stretched back through space for tens of millions of km.

It was estimated that Hale Bopp was releasing dust at 400 tonnes per second.

Ron.

post-13213-133877535697_thumb.jpg

It's unlikely Hale Bopp will be seen again. Or not for a very long time.

AD8000 has been forecast. It probably came in from the Oort cloud, or beyond, which means they approach the sun from any direction, where others come at us from the plane of the Solar system, and easier to find.

Perhaps an expert on Comets can add more.

Ron.

I was up in Wasdale at the time.....really, really dark skies. It was so bright at the time...an amazing sight!

This one was taken from Watendlath, Zak. A Hamlet high up, between the Borrowdale, and Thirlmere Valleys.

Ron.

This one was taken from Watendlath, Zak. A Hamlet high up, between the Borrowdale, and Thirlmere Valleys.

Ron.

It's a great image!

I was up there doing a bit of fell walking. I was walking to the Wasdale Head Inn for a couple of pints and seeing it hanging in the sky over Lingmell. It was a crystal clear night, and I remember standing there, being awestruck by it.

It's a great image!

I was up there doing a bit of fell walking. I was walking to the Wasdale Head Inn for a couple of pints and seeing it hanging in the sky over Lingmell. It was a crystal clear night, and I remember standing there, being awestruck by it.

Yeah!, there was a lot of gawping while this sight was in the sky.

I wonder if the like of it will ever be seen again.:)

Yeah!, there was a lot of gawping while this sight was in the sky.

I wonder if the like of it will ever be seen again.:o

It sure would be nice to see another like it! Though, with the current amount of cloud, there could be gert big alien spaceships hanging in the sky and we'd go weeks without realising....:)

I was no way into Astronomy at the time, but I think the seeds were defintely sown with Halle Bopp. I can remember hearing about it on the news and the incredible stats such as speed, size, age etc. left me completely stunned. How anyone who was around at the time (teens upwards) could of failed to spot it is beyond me, it looked glorious, even in moderately light polluted skies, I can only imagine what it was like viewing this thru a telescope. I can imagine even a small 4" reflector would of produced some stunning views.. I hope we all get the chance to see another comet of that magnitude sometime in the near future..

Or see Beetleguese go pop.. that would be something!

Archived