Narrowband

Hale-Bopp images

StarryEyes

jeez i was 11 when this happened and i missed it somehow?

i do remember once seeing a full lunar eclipse and one time the planets lined up in what i think was described as a "pearl necklace". looked it up and apparently that was 2004....i thought it was longer ago...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great shots of Hayakutake! yes it does make feel so sorry I missed two incredible astronimical sights, I have read it is something that is the most impressive sight one can see due to the luminosity :)

hope there's a surprise heading our way of similar stature:rolleyes:

on that subject, how soon was it that both Hale-Bopp and Hayakutake were detected?

Edit. how lazy of me, I know you guys are good, but can you beat Google?, think I'll have a browse.

Yup, I have a H-B image or 20.

This one is an 5min exposure taken with a 135mm lens at f/2.8,; the camera was mounted on my Scotch Mount. You can tell, by the green hue of the light pollution, that I was using Fujichrome film. You can see M34 in the ion tail.

halebopp.jpg

That is awesome. It's a shame such a great comet happened when my imaging skills were really rudimentary, I'd have been able to manage a result like that now!

Yup, I have a H-B image or 20.

This one is an 5min exposure taken with a 135mm lens at f/2.8,; the camera was mounted on my Scotch Mount. You can tell, by the green hue of the light pollution, that I was using Fujichrome film. You can see M34 in the ion tail.

halebopp.jpg

And that's a great image too Steve.

Not sure i want to dig mine out now :)

jeez i was 11 when this happened and i missed it somehow?

I was 15 at the time and I definitely don't remember seeing it, not sure how visible it was though in the southern hemisphere where I was. I do have a vague recollection of a bunch of nutters drinking the kool aid or something to that affect.

However I think not seeing this comet was entirely made up for by seeing McNaught in 07, that thing was huge in the sky, truly the most spectacular sight I have ever witnessed.

I wonder if Elenin will put a good show on in November.

I was 15 at the time and I definitely don't remember seeing it, not sure how visible it was though in the southern hemisphere where I was. I do have a vague recollection of a bunch of nutters drinking the kool aid or something to that affect.

However I think not seeing this comet was entirely made up for by seeing McNaught in 07, that thing was huge in the sky, truly the most spectacular sight I have ever witnessed.

I wonder if Elenin will put a good show on in November.

Hale Bopp was great in the Northern hemisphere, so bright you couldn't miss it. But McNaught was hugging the horizon for us, definitely one for the southern hemisphere.

Ah yes...I remember Hale-Bopp well. Saw it for the first time on holiday in Portugal. These I took from my back garden near Southampton, where I was living at the time...

Also, quite amazingly, caught a meteor in the top image. Not bad for a 30-sec or so exposure!

comethale-boppApril1997a.jpg

Someone mentioned Hyakutake. This was taken at 1996 Mar 29 04:00UT in quite severe light pollution (Alderholt, Dorset) Fujichrome 400, 50mm f2, 360s. (Scotch mount again). Pretty severe vignetting. Also managed to get dust on the slide when I scanned it!

Hyakutake.jpg

Hale-Bopp is due back in 4385 - which is sooner than it would have been. It's orbit was about 4,200 year but was reduced to 2,533 by a close encounter with Jupiter. :)

Think this post may have been inspired by my post on 'what got you into astronomy thread'. Really please so many have such fond memories of it. I just remember noticing it one night and then everyone was on about it (but not from the news, just folks taking note). It really was something to see. Hope we get another close comet some time soon - they are something special (But not as close as Shoemaker-Levy 9 that his Jupiter) That was something great to see to - even though only through the news.

I asked this question earlier in this thread, when did both Hale-Bopp and Hyakutake first get detected?

I checked on line, these statements may not be entierly correct

Comet Hale-Bopp, 23rd July 1995, became visable as a naked eye object by April 1997

Comet Hyakutake was apparently detected using a pair of 25x100 bins! on January 31st 1996, it became visable to the naked eye by the end of February 1996

Wonder if we are about to have a visit from another Comet of equal beauty as those two anytime soon? :rolleyes:

Archived