NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron cpc 1100 xlt

Newfie

Yes I was a very frustrated owner of a 8" f6 relector that I could never seem to be able to colliminate correctly so it it now sat in the loft ! I will be using as visual scope but possibly will look at photography if it is suitable.

Nice scope but don't expect to do long exposure deep sky imaging with the mount - the tracking accuracy is insufficient.

Main pitfalls:

1. It's heavy. This isn't a problem unless you want to move it around a lot. However it's actually easier than the slightly lighter Meade 10", the handholds are very well placed which helps.

2. Like all SCTs, it's a dew magnet, and really needs both passive (dew shield) and active (heater strap) dew prevention.

3. The power lead has a tendency to pull out when the mount rotates. You need a reel of electrical tape to secure the top end of the power cable to the fork arm.

4. For some daft reason, the designers included a power indicator light - which is badly placed and far too bright. Half an inch of that electrical tape fixes that problem.

5. The balance of the tube is tail heavy, and will become impossibly so if you add a 2" diagonal and eyepiece. Some sort of counterweight is strongly reccomended to avoid slippage of the altitude clutch.

6. It takes ages to cool down (about 3 hours without active cooling), and the tube currents whilst it is doing so can be ferocious.

7. The thin dark painted metal tube can cause tube currents by overcooling of the upper surface ... throwing a towel over the tube to improve the insulation can help when viewing or imaging planets at high magnification, once the scope has cooled to near ambient.

This may seem like a long list of faults but they're mostly minor & no scope is free of them. Highly reccomended.

depending on the brand on the reflector, if its a cheaper brand they can be a nightmare as they are not upto the job.

the CPC1100 and other sct's are cracking visual scopes, i own a 10" meade version. However they are not well suited to long exposure astro photography due to a required very troublesome polar alignment, slow focal ratio (f10) and long focal length 2750mm.

this all spells bad news for good tracking and exposure times.

Most people who start out in astro photography are advised to buy the most sturdy equatorial mount they can afford and team it with a fast focal ratio ed refractor or corrected reflector.

the objectives of visual and photography normally dont mix and whats good for one, generally is not good for the other :) if there was a scope that could do it all... i think we would all own one.

Guy's thanks for the advice it looks like it will be a whole new learning curve for me again. In answer to the question it was mid priced relector from Orion in the Uk with very crude components ie mirror cell and spider I think their scopes have greatly improved since I purchased this one. I will give it some thought and keep you posted if I make the purchase.

Archived