Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Widefield

wolfgang.f

Here's a widefield image of Orion, taken with a Canon EOS 1000D (unmodified) and a 18-200mm Zoom lens on a clear, cold night on January 29. It took a while until I could feel my toes again, but I think was worth it... ;-)

Wolfgang

post-21372-133877526929_thumb.jpg

how many exposures and what settings? I'm trying to shoot somethin glike this but having issues with getting that much detail.

I'm afraid the detail in this shot isn't down to my skills as a photographer, but rather to the exceptionally good sky we had that night. I was out with a couple of friends that night. We were doing some observing while the camera was snapping away, and we agreed that we had hardly ever seen so much detail in DSOs. Anyway, this is what I did:

The Camera was mounted on an equatorial mount.

Settings:

- EOS 1000D, Sigma 18-200mm Zoom set to 33mm

- ISO 800

- 30 lightframes, 2 min exposure (RAW + jpg) at f 5.6

- 5 darkframes

Processing:

When I tried to do everything by the book (like processing the RAW files, subtracting darkframes, etc.), the results were rather disappointing. I ended up running just the jpgs through Deep Sky Stacker. So much for my skills ;-)

(By the way: If any of you pros out there is interested, I'll be happy to let you have the RAW images. It would be very interesting to see what a skilled astrophotographer could do with these images... Email me if you're interested)

I then used Fitswork to reduce the noise, and GIMP to remove a few hot pixels, and a bit of tone mapping / colour balance.

Hope this helps - good luck with your Orion!

Wolfgang

I'm afraid the detail in this shot isn't down to my skills as a photographer, but rather to the exceptionally good sky we had that night. I was out with a couple of friends that night. We were doing some observing while the camera was snapping away, and we agreed that we had hardly ever seen so much detail in DSOs. Anyway, this is what I did:

The Camera was mounted on an equatorial mount.

Settings:

- EOS 1000D, Sigma 18-200mm Zoom set to 33mm

- ISO 800

- 30 lightframes, 2 min exposure (RAW + jpg) at f 5.6

- 5 darkframes

Processing:

When I tried to do everything by the book (like processing the RAW files, subtracting darkframes, etc.), the results were rather disappointing. I ended up running just the jpgs through Deep Sky Stacker. So much for my skills ;-)

(By the way: If any of you pros out there is interested, I'll be happy to let you have the RAW images. It would be very interesting to see what a skilled astrophotographer could do with these images... Email me if you're interested)

I then used Fitswork to reduce the noise, and GIMP to remove a few hot pixels, and a bit of tone mapping / colour balance.

Hope this helps - good luck with your Orion!

Wolfgang

thanks :) I run my operations on a mac so I cant use DSS. I tried another free program but ill be damned if it isnt difficult as hell to use. confusing.

do you use a tracker to keep star trails at bay?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very impressed with the un modified results your getting,I've toyed with selling my 40D now I have the ATIK but buying a none modified EOS for general and some astro imaging.

well done and nice Barnards BTW..

Impressive pic and worth risking a toe for!!

The Ha is impressive because when I did this with an OSC CCD camera I didn't gat a vast amount more out of Barnard's. You can also see the Meissa/Lambda Orionis nebula at the top. Ha would really make this shine.

Olly

The toes turned out to be ok, so no damage done ;-)

I still have this feeling that with better processing, there might be some more detail hidden in the raw data (like Swashy pointed out). After all, it's just the jpgs stacked with DSS and a bit of work with Fitswork and Gimp.

Getting more Ha is very tempting indeed. I recently upgraded to an EOS 550D, so the sensible thing to do would be to sell the 1000D- still, having it modified for astro is very tempting... must-not-spend-more-money-on-astro... must-not... *sigh*

Wolfgang

Archived