Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skymax 127 dewheater and dew sheild

A dew shield is an absolute must for any MAK, I use mine all the time as it helps keep extraneous light from entering the system. The shield has always done it's job bar the dankest of nights, so I have never felt the need for dew heaters etc, see how you get on with a shield first, you can make your own easy enough, although my DIY efforts always ended up falling apart, so I bought an 'Astrozap'

I think either a dew shield or a dew heater (or both) is more or less mandatory with maks or SCT's. I can't understand why they are not supplied as standard really !.

You could make a dew shield from an old camping mat - it's only a tube that sticks 10" above the top of the scope tube.

The dew-not dew heater strips seem quite popular and are not too pricey. You will also need a power supply to run if off.

When I had an SCT I used to have the dew prevention stuff on all the time. It's so frustrating getting dewed up and it takes a while to clear it - I preferred to prevent it from forming in the 1st place.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm on the point of ordering some nichrome wire to make a dew heater for my 127 Mak. I have an Astrozap dew shield, but sometimes it's no good for more than an hour or so keeping the dew off.

James

I'm on the point of ordering some nichrome wire to make a dew heater for my 127 Mak. I have an Astrozap dew shield, but sometimes it's no good for more than an hour or so keeping the dew off.

James

Keep us posted as to how you get on making the heater james, i dont usually need one as i have the huge dew shield, but every little helps

Hi All. ;)

Just having got this scope,what should i buy to get the best from it?Is it advisable to get dew heater and sheild?

Anyone got any particulaer in mind without breaking the bank :)

Should they be used all the time.

Regards Gaz ;)

Hi,

I have the 127 MAK and you do need a shield and a heater for sure, as for the shield you could use a cut-off of a camping mat. These are about £5.00. For the heater I opted for a proper Heater-Band and controller, these are not cheap but work fine. I have seen some DIY jobs with resistors and so on, but myself I'd rather spend the time observing or imaging.

Regards,

A.G

Another new 127 owner here.

I use a 12" long home made DS made from laminate floor underlay which we had left over.

Used it for the first time last Friday and it worked a treat all night/morning from about 10pm through to 5am.

Archived