NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Obsy Progress...

Vic&Al

So finally got to work rain and frost caused a few delays but its starting to take shape.

I came across a handy looking pier in a scrapyard needs a bit of work but think it will make a fine pier.

As the shed/obsy dominates the back of the yard we have had a few features put on to ease the 'big brown box' look.

The garden is being landscaped at the min so work on the pier & obsy electrics etc will have to wait....

post-18013-133877522522_thumb.jpg

Levelled

post-18013-133877522531_thumb.jpg

Scrapyard pier

post-18013-133877522543_thumb.jpg

Base goes in..

post-18013-13387752255_thumb.jpg

Building begins..

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I looked at the top picture I thought, that is going to be one hell of an observatory! The last pictured however curbed my initial dribbling but it still looks pretty substantial. Good luck with the build and hope the weather stays kind for you!

Clear skies

James

Hi all

Concrete for the base went in today, lots of rain slowing things down a bit.

Hole dimensions are 3'x3'x3 with the bottom foot filled with broken flags and 20mm ballast.

Scaffold tubes and re-bar driven into the bottom of hole for good measure.

More pics soon....

Its been a busy week. Had to mod the RORO roof as the castors were starting to struggle a bit. I used carpet trim strips to give aid the castors and now the roof slides nicely. Had a bit of a mare installing the strips under the always coverd 4' section, and even managed to get one caught and roll it up like a SPAM can!

Could not wait for the pier and put the tripod onto the shed base but it may as well be on a trampoline!

Electrics going in Monday and will start work on the warm room partition/pier when I get a chance....

Base nice and level..

post-18013-133877525301_thumb.jpg

Rail..

post-18013-133877525309_thumb.jpg

SPAM can!!

post-18013-133877525403_thumb.jpg

Just could'nt wait....

post-18013-133877525323_thumb.jpg

More soon....

post-18013-133877525317_thumb.jpg

Have you given any consideration to the water running off the roof ? From my experience if you have any kind a roof near to a fence the rain water runs off the roof and splashes off the fence back on to the obsy. I had a leak and I couldn't for the life of me find it but in the end it was caused by the close proximity to a fence splashing water back on to the floor sill and the water found it's own way in side. PVC cladding and a load of silicone got the leak sorted. I still have a problem out side with algae but in side staying dry so far. I have a dome so guttering isn't a practical solution but even then what do you do with the guttered water ?

SPACEBOY

Interesting point Spaceboy, I had not given that any thought.

Its not so clear from the photo's but there is in fact a 2' gap between the obsy and the back fence, hopefully this will be enough to avoid backsplash. We had however given some thought to a gutter feeding into a water butt, and I think we will add this a bit later.

Not had any heavy rain since the obsy went up, plenty of effing cloud though....

I think you can just add guttering to the moving roof and have the downward pipe move with it. When the roof is closed the pipe could end above a water butt. And you would most likely not open the roof when it's raining... ;-)

Hi all,

All the electrics finished off yersterday. Now have power, and red and white lighting. As the garden is still being reworked, the obsy is a bit clutterd at the min. Will get round to partitioning the warm room soon.

post-18013-133877527508_thumb.jpg

Heavy winds last few nights have really put the RORO to the test and thankfully it did not end up in next doors garden:hello2:

post-18013-133877527515_thumb.jpg

I have a pier that needs a bit of work, its 150mm x 150mm at the top but I will need to add a baseplate for the mount to attach to. I was contemplating using the tripod that came with the NEQ6, removing the baseplate from it and adapting it to fit my pier. Has anybody else been down this route?

post-18013-133877527489_thumb.jpg

post-18013-133877527521_thumb.jpg

Someone did just what you are considering, see here: Pier Plate Modification for EQ6

To fit my EQ6 onto my existing pier top plate, I fashioned an adaptor from a block of Delrin using a router. It works well enough for but probably a steel/aluminium plate would be better if you have the means to make one or know someone who could do it for you.

44449d1287133632-pier-adapter-eq6-eq6-pier-adapter.jpg

43509d1285669667-storing-eq6-pro-mount-permanently-outside-pier-eq6-lever-bolt.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replys, I think I will be going down the Tripod mod route thanks r3i. Not much observing done, unfortunatley we have had some intruders so this has set us back.

As for build progress so far not much else to report, funds and finishing the garden have taken priority, security is an issue I am afraid :)

Mike, shed used is a standard 12'x8' pent T&G bags of room.

Will keep you posted...

A bit off-topic (re: obsy security). I was just looking at my garden fence this morning with a view to beefing it up, and was thinking about replacing the crappy panels with new ones that have the concrete plinth along the bottom just like in your first picture. did you put them in yourself. Is it easy?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

what a fab obs... run a gutter at the back to a water 'but'... then in summer you can enjoy being bitten by your mosquito farm.

sorry am suffering from obys ****... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived