Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thor's helmet - start of new project and MN190 1st light

MartinB

Finally persuaded myselft to take the FSQ off the mount replacing it with my recently acquired MN190 purchased off Ford Prefect. I've been wanting to image this target for years. My observatory is raised about 8' above ground level and gives a good view of the southern horizon so the helmet comes in range despite being very low. I managed to get 7x20 min subs a couple of nights ago through LP, a big moon and horrible seeing. Worse still, I forgot to turn the cooling on :)

I'm aiming for 2 or 3 more hours of Ha then a load of OIII. I'll take a couple of SII subs to decide whether they are going to add anything

1st impressions of the MN190 are very positive. It has the agricultural old skywatcher crayford but it is holding my weighty QSI 320 wsg camera without any problem and focusing is not a problem. Got a very tight FWHM when focusing and the field is flat looking at CCD inspector.

This was through a 7nm Baader Ha filter. It's still pretty noisy but it is a pretty dim target. Transparency was very poor. Very pleased with what I've got so far.

post-12794-133877519994_thumb.jpg

Very nice indeed Martin :).. Theres no chance I'll image that from 'up North'... will you synthetically create the SII ?

My 'new' 190 has a bit of flop when the 314/filter wheels attached.. am going to have to use a 10mm spacer between the nose piece and USB filter wheel... coming from a frac I cant get used to the camera hanging upside down...

I wondered where the 190 had gone :)

Glad you're getting on well with it, Jon got some good results with it and it's good to see you doing the same.

That's quite a nice image already, will be great with a load more Ha and some OIII.

How long is your window of opportunity - or is it going to be a multi year project?

Cheers

Ant

Very nice indeed Martin :).. Theres no chance I'll image that from 'up North'... will you synthetically create the SII ?

My 'new' 190 has a bit of flop when the 314/filter wheels attached.. am going to have to use a 10mm spacer between the nose piece and USB filter wheel... coming from a frac I cant get used to the camera hanging upside down...

LOL coming from fracts myself and being 5'7 i can't get used to having to use a box to see the finder :)

Thanks guys, like everyone I'm just looking for some decent conditions now.

Yes, if the SII signal is near non existent I will create a synthetic green channel to balance the colour.

I wondered where the 190 had gone :)

How long is your window of opportunity - or is it going to be a multi year project?

Cheers

Ant

It's not bad Ant. It's in view at the moment for at least 4-5 hours. The frustrating thing is I keep having nearly clear nights but too much thin cloud to image. I might be able to get away with it at the zenith but not down low. I'm waking up to crystal clear mornings.

The MN190 is no problem weight and bulk wise in my dome which gives loads of shelter from the wind. I'm not even needing to use a dew shield either. It would be more of an issue out in the open. The newtonian tube is a bit of a change for me as well, I'm used to having a camera hanging off the bottom of the scope. Now I've got it set up it's fine though and in some respects the cables are easier to manage. When I see the camera hanging upside down I wish I could screw fix it to the draw tube!

Ah, thanks for the reminder Martin :D Like you I can now do this one with the position of the obsy, just about. I captured a good few hours of Thors last year with the mn190, but even with plenty of ha there is still plenty of noise, mostly due to the murk it sits in. Cant usually see any stars at all visually at that elevation.

Looking forward to watching this one develop :evil1:

Tim

Superb start amigo, looks like it'll take a bit of time though! I'm slightly envious though, I'd love to have a stab at it but it's not do-able from my garden :D. I'll be keeping an eye out for the progress!

Tony..

Archived