Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 - a right muddle

MartinB

Had a miserable time with this. Forecast was fantastic, no moon, little wind and clear sky. Instead it was windy, thin high cloud and then, just as I though the cloud had completely gone it started to rain. Never known anything like it. Made the mistake of fully extending the legs on the super polaris so everything was being blown about so went for shorter subs binned 2x2. Had planned a nice long session had to rush through the subs cos of the weather. then got into a terminal muddle with the filter wheel. Must have turned it twice or something cos at the end of the session I wasn't using the filter I thought I was :shock:

So very roughly ED80 with 0.67 reducer SXVH9 camera 60x20secs CLS 30x15 secs R G and B. But probably nothing like. think there's some Ha in there as well :insects1: Captured and combined with maxim and processed in PS in a very haphazard sort of way!

Amazed that it has turned out quite presentable although I am wanting to capture more of the fainter outer nebulosity.

image.jpg

Thank you very much for the comments.

Do you think it's too red Steve? It's monitor hell here so it's very difficult to judge. I did push the red a bit. A lot of M42 DSLR images are lacking in red. It's difficult to know what's right, I tried to match it with some of the better M42 images I've seen.

When I get my new monitor life will hopefully be a lot easier when processing.

To be honest Martin , i dont thnk it matters to much now what darn colour these objects are , what with the narrow band etc etc , ppl are getting all sorts of weird colours , i think its just down to personal taste now , cant please everyone , but as long as we ! you are happy , thats the main thing.

Rog :)

Its just my preference but yes, I think there is too much red/magenta. There are some nice grey/blue colours in M42 that can be masked if not careful.

Perhaps you should look at getting a monitor calibration tool before investing in a new monitor?

Had a quick play :)

post-12699-133877325346_thumb.jpg

Martin, I think that is your best image yet, better than even the M45 pic and that's a stunner. Detail, colours, focus and tracking are all spot on. You've processed it to perfection too. In a nutshell bleddy superb :) And now my desktop image for the next week or so......hope you don't mind?

Russ

Archived