Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is it that makes us constantly want to improve the kit we have??

Moonshane

I have the same point of view as Paul, I have done a few modifications to my kit but other than that, I am happy

with what i have, we live in a shopaholics world, and there seems to be a lot of them, and I am not one of them,

as Paul said, if it's not broke don't fix it, there is nothing wrong with improvement, but no one will ever get those

Hubble views. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Only 2 working?. What's wrong with the rest of them?.

Well I guess it's two and a half since one of them consists of two scopes and two cameras on one mount. Why am I answering this?  Grrr, you get me every time, you irishman, you...

:Dlly

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Well I guess it's two and a half since one of them consists of two scopes and two cameras on one mount. Why am I answering this?  Grrr, you get me every time, you irishman, you...

:Dlly

I only ask because ive seen how many sheds obsy's you have stuck on the side of the mountain. 

5 hours ago, John said:

I've heard that Tele Vue have a couple of very interesting developments in the pipeline so those may well add more temptation :rolleyes2:

Oh no...!!

I'm going to try to go the rest of the year without buying anything :)

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I only ask because ive seen how many sheds obsy's you have stuck on the side of the mountain. 

Yes, but they're not all mine! I only accept respnosibility for two of them... or is it three? Well, plus a couple of others in a roundabout kind of way... Uh-oh.... Guilty as charged!

Olly

28 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Yes, but they're not all mine! I only accept respnosibility for two of them... or is it three? Well, plus a couple of others in a roundabout kind of way... Uh-oh.... Guilty as charged!

Olly

I think that "Catalyst" is the appropriate label.

Garden of Eden, apple and .....(which of the protagonists would Olly play?)

But, it is lovely Astro gear, so all is forgiven. In fact, if there had been a decent telescope and some top notch glass in afore mentioned garden, then apples would likely have been ignored and a lot of nastiness avoided.

Paul

PS. Hopefully no offence caused or forum rules transgressed. Humour is not my strong point. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Paul73 said:

I think that "Catalyst" is the appropriate label.

Garden of Eden, apple and .....(which of the protagonists would Olly play?)

But, it is lovely Astro gear, so all is forgiven. In fact, if there had been a decent telescope and some top notch glass in afore mentioned garden, then apples would likely have been ignored and a lot of nastiness avoided.

Paul

PS. Hopefully no offence caused or forum rules transgressed. Humour is not my strong point. Sorry.

Well, that's an easy one! As has often been said of Milton's Paradise Lost, the Devil has all the best lines...

Olly

Personally.....as a pure and simple visual observer type..............i have not got a single clue as to the gear you astro-imagers talk about. I wouldnt know how or where to start (i love the results though).

You guys and gals do the imaging............so i dont have to.

In stargazing/astronomy terms I haven't really wanted to improve my kit for many years (guilty more on photography/cameras!); my last astro kit upgrade was to treat myself/invest in a Skywatcher 150mm refractor, only to find using it constantly aggravated my back problems - been dismantled in the spare bedroom for about a decade now!  I have thought about a small-ish Mak-Cas (possibly as an OTA), but that is back-burnered until I get back into employment.

It seems the grass is always greener for many of us! It's technical term is "thick in the head syndrome!" I've suffered from it for years and have sold some amazing gear because the grass appeared greener, then I get there and realise that I already had what I really wanted. Then I've to back track in an attempt to reaquire the kit I once owned. I once calculated just how much I've squandered over the years, going round in ever decreasing circles, and finally disappearing up the black hole that is now my wallet!

Mike

I'm glad I got out of imaging...  It's a never ending stream of options to improve ;)   Once I'd sold off the imaging stuff and also with a few years of visual experience completing the Messier list and observing a reasonable amount of the Herschel 400 I also chopped in my C8 and upgraded my aperture and bought some nice eyepieces.  With the stuff I've got I'm pretty much set and doubt very much that I'll make any purchases this year or even more unless it's to replace something.  All I need now are clear nights!

Archived