Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BST Explorer Eyepieces

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a short follow up.

I had a clear sky last night so a managed to give both the TMB 9mm and the Explorer 8mm a quick go in my Nexstar 6SE. Unfortunately, I get home from work quite late so Jupiter was already quite low in the sky by the time I was set up and so they views weren't great generally.

Both eyepieces were very comfortable to use once the eye cups had been raised to the right position for me. On the whole, the Explorer produced the more pleasing picture on the night (slightly sharper) but as I mentioned, this is probably not a fair test due to the position of Jupiter.

I'm keeping my eye on the weather forecasts in the hope it might be clear this weekend and I can give them a bit more of a thorough test.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this one rather than create a new thread...

I've had a couple of nights to try both eyepieces on Jupiter now and the BST Explorer wins it for me. The view seems clearer, the colours better defined and the eyepiece just feels nice in the hand and to adjust.

So a big thank you to Alan at Sky's the Limit for allowing me to try them both, it was a great help!

russ I hate you, I forgot the auction finished tonight and I wanted the 18! ;) They were the Paradigm branded ones yes?

I got a 15 and a 5 S/H, the 15 is sweet - the 5 is a little hard work for me (takes my scope to 240x,) might consider getting rid and going TMB 6mm

Sorry about that. I wasn't expecting to win them to be honest because i put in the minimum bid but was surprised no one showed any interest.

Apparently they are the Paradigm labeled ones.

I had the 8mm, 12mm and 18mm before. Really liked them.

I owned the whole set and was silly to sell them dont get me wrong the hyperions are great but those BST's were very close and half the cost

That was my conclusion when i owned them first time round. Having just sold my Hyperions and 'downgrading', i was mighty impressed with the Paradigm.

I'm very impressed with my TMB's but I have to agree they aren't much to look at. If some one offered me a Celestron X-cel or a TMB my eye would go for the X-cel. Having had both though I know the X-cel would have been the wrong choice. I would think if the build of the BST feels better and the views are equal to the TMB's, if I had to make the purchase again the BST would be the better option for the slightly larger FOV.

SPACEBOY

Archived