Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Axiom LX series

ampleamp

I have finally had the chance to review two Celestron Axiom LX eyepieces, one 15mm and the other 7mm. I have owned the 15mm since July when it was purchased 2nd hand from Earl. I bought the 7mm from FLO last month after the price reductions.

Until July my eyepiece experience was limited to standard plossls but by then I had more confidence to explore the vast and personal arena that is eyepieces. I considered TV and Baaders but then Earl's sale came up and having done a fair bit or research by then, I took the plunge. Over the last six months I have been using the 15mm on a WO ZS66+ and a Meade 5000 ED 80mm.

It would be fair to say that the first time I used the 15mm that I was astounded at the difference just changing the eyepiece made – probably shows a certain amount of naivity as well. Despite all the research, unless you actually have the chance to look through an eyepiece and a familiar scope then there isn't much that can prepare you for the upgrade in view that you will experience. I knew I had made the right decision!

The quality of the view in terms of sharpness is excellent. My standard plossls, to my eye, have a central sweet spot in which good focus is achieved, but this falls off probably from halfway to the edge. The Axiom however, apart from just being clearer, has sharp focus nearly (but not quite) to the edge of view.

I now realise that my eye had been compensating for the poorer plossls and that I was restricting some of the benefits of my scopes, especially I think with the Meade.

The other major improvement for me was comfort whilst viewing. With the standard plossls I felt that it was all a bit fiddly and that my eye was straining after a while; no such discomfort with the Axiom. I find that there is a lot less eye movement needed to see around the view since there is a far greater area in focus. Subjectively, I think that the eyepiece just suits me better as well; it is quite a bit bigger than my standard plossls and that in itself improves comfort.

Since purchasing the Axiom, I have rarely used any of the plossls – there just doesn't seem to be any point. When the price reduction came on these eyepieces I decided to treat myself to a 7mm rather than go the other way to a 23mm. (Not least the different barrel widths). All of the above holds for the 7mm as well although obviously there is an increase in magnification.

On my kit, the 7mm definitely works better with the Meade scope whereas I couldn't choose between the scopes with the 15mm. Last weekend I looked up on the Orion Nebula (one of my favourites) and again had that same astounded feeling using the 7mm that I had had 6 months earlier when using the 15mm for the first time. This had been the first (and as yet only) opportunity to use the 7mm since its arrival due to work, illness and no clear skies. Another reason for going for the 7mm is that shortly I have a chance at keeping a Meade 5000 127mm scope and I hope that the 7mm will work very well with this although a 23mm would be good but I already have a couple of Meade 2” eyepieces now.

A lot has been said about these eyepieces being very good (agreed) but overly priced at new (also agreed), but at the price bracket FLO currently have them, to me they are a no brainer. Since the summer, I have had a look through a couple TV eyepieces – they are very good and if I am honest are probably better than the Axioms, but for 90+% performance at 60% of the price, I would go with Axioms everyday. They represent an excellent (and now affordable) choice for a huge improvement in quality as well as enjoyment, and surely that is what it is about.

post-19269-133877516976_thumb.jpg

post-19269-133877516983_thumb.jpg

Good to actually find a review on these Axiom. FLO having a special on them got me tempted but the lack of reviews on the net made me a bit apprehensive. They certainly look like a quality eye piece from your pics. I'm sure FLO's stocks will soon be depleted after this review.

SPACEBOY

Nice review - thanks for posting it !.

They sound excellent eyepieces and it's good to see a growing number now capable of giving Tele Vue a run for their (considerably more) money.

A comparison of the Axiom LX's and their UWAN / Nirvana counterparts would be interesting - I reckon the results would be very close.

.... I did consider the 31mm but that was a way too heavy 1361g compared to the Baader Aspheric at 390g.... (

Wow :icon_eek: that is a heavyweight !. I thought the Nagler 31mm was pretty chunky at around the 1000g mark.....

What is the weight and rough dimensions of the 7mm ??? I did consider the 31mm but that was a way too heavy 1361g compared to the Baader Aspheric at 390g.

That is one mighty heavy eyepiece. I would certainly need my counterweight system in place for that eyepiece. :icon_eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Celestron eyepiece kit and I find them to be fairly nice (even though I have nothing else to compare them with).

Would one of these be a huge improvement in quality, would the view of for example jupiter be greatly improved?

First of all: are you noticing shortcomings? As a rule of thumb, only replace kit if you feel it is limiting your viewing experience. I enjoyed using the Plossl EPs I had with my scope for years. Second, it depends what on you have, and what you want to see. If you have the Plossl-based EP-set, the axiom LX does have improvements to offer: much wider field of view for starters, which is handy for a variety of reasons, and just so much more immersive. It does give that "space-walk" feeling. On planets a smaller field of view may be OK, and many Plossls produce good views. However, the eye relief is small, which can be a pain. The axiom LXs may be sharper, and therefore give you more detail on Jupiter. The best way to find out is to go to a star party and compare the two types side-by-side on the same scope.

The ones i've got now are fine, but as I go to the smaller eyepieces I have to strain my eye a little more, eyelashes get in the way and it all becomes a pain.

I just want an eyepiece thats higher magnification but is easy on the eye.

The ones i've got now are fine, but as I go to the smaller eyepieces I have to strain my eye a little more, eyelashes get in the way and it all becomes a pain.

I just want an eyepiece thats higher magnification but is easy on the eye.

I like my two TV Radians, but the (cheaper) Vixen NLV have an excellent reputation. Much easier to use than Plossls at short focal lengths. A cheaper alternative are the TMB Planetary EPs (and the clones).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived