Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UK prices vs US prices

legion48

Aarghh!!!

I really need a narrow band filter if I am to stand any chance of seeing, never mind imaging, any emission and planetary nebula from my light polluted garden.

I've done my research and I reckon the either the Orion Ultrablock or Lumicon UHC will serve my needs.

How come these filters cost around £80 in the UK and $80 in the US??? $80, that's what...40 odd quid? Grrr

My son is going to NY for New Year, I think I will ask him to pick one up for me.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks.

I've just read Albireo380's thread about his Baader O111 filter in tips and techniques. For £47, I think maybe this one will the job for me.

You might also want to think about the Baader UHC-S filter which is also a narroband filter but not so "harsh" as the OIII filter. It's about the same price and I find it works well with smaller scopes - it helped me see the Veil Nebula with an 80mm short tube refractor from my garden which is surrounded by street lights.

John

This is a real can o' worms.

As has been said before on other forums, and possibly this one, as long as we (the British telescope buying public) are willing to pay the exorbitant and blatently inflated prices, then they (the large American manufacturers) will continue to take the pi**.

It's as simple as that.

Lee.

This is a real can o' worms.

As has been said before on other forums, and possibly this one, as long as we (the British telescope buying public) are willing to pay the exorbitant and blatently inflated prices, then they (the large American manufacturers) will continue to take the pi**.

It's as simple as that.

Lee.

Well said that man!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I read somewhere that the UK is nicknamed "Treasure Island" within the global commercial world - because they can get away with charging premium prices. There's also a rumour that the US-based Astromart site has an agreement with it's commerial sponsors that even private sellers would be discouraged from selling equipment outside the US to preserve their (the big companies) ability to exploit those markets - there was a purge of non-US Astromart accounts a year os so ago and many folk (including me) were kicked off without explanation.

I sometimes feel as a UK citizen as if I have the words "Mug - please fleece me" written across my back !!!.

Of course I have just compounded the problem by buying a new WO Megrez 90 for £799 - when the same deal is $1099 in the US - at the current exchange rate the UK price should be around £600 - Doh, perhaps I am a mug !!.

John

Thanks.

I've just read Albireo380's thread about his Baader O111 filter in tips and techniques. For £47, I think maybe this one will the job for me.

You might also want to think about the Baader UHC-S filter which is also a narroband filter but not so "harsh" as the OIII filter. It's about the same price and I find it works well with smaller scopes - it helped me see the Veil Nebula with an 80mm short tube refractor from my garden which is surrounded by street lights.

John

Thanks for the advice. Luckily I've got plenty of time to decide which filter to get as I'm pretty much skint at the moment having bought a toucam 840k, 1.25 adapter, moon filter, 2x barlow and 32mm lens in the last 10 days!

I only got my scope at the end of October - by mid summer I'm confident that I'll be bankrupt . :shock:

Thanks for the advice. Luckily I've got plenty of time to decide which filter to get as I'm pretty much skint at the moment having bought a toucam 840k, 1.25 adapter, moon filter, 2x barlow and 32mm lens in the last 10 days!

I only got my scope at the end of October - by mid summer I'm confident that I'll be bankrupt . :shock:

trust me it won't take that long. :)

This hobby has a way of making you keep on spending. I am fighting the urge not to buy an OMC200 :shock:

I am fighting the urge not to buy an OMC200 :shock:

As opposed to the 180 Skywatcher mak, or the Tal 200K or what?

Captain Chaos

The difference in ££££ inbetween the 180 Mak and the OMC is quite large, I've also heard 'mixed' reports on the Tal and it's not a really a DS scope (Lunators 'thing') in any case.

Of course I have just compounded the problem by buying a new WO Megrez 90 for £799 - when the same deal is $1099 in the US - at the current exchange rate the UK price should be around £600 - Doh, perhaps I am a mug !!.

John

Actually once you add VAT that comes to £705. Plus UPS fee, import duty and the fee your credit card company charges for foreign transactions, you would've saved very little if anything. You can make big savings buying abroad but not in this case, so don't feel bad about it!

Yup, it's the VAT that kills us not the suppliers. Plus the 4% import duty on most things. Then the carrier import fee etc etc etc

The prices are actually about right, if you want to complain to someone about the high prices we pay dont complain to the suppliers complain to the government.

Well i have just recieved a ADM guidescope system,In Rother Valley Optics they are priced at £149.99 but directly from ADM in the Usa (via ebay) i paid £87.00 including postage.

I didnt pay anything extra when it arrived so looks like i bagged a good deal :)

Archived