Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think we finally got a nebula!

Dubbs75

After a few weeks away due to the holidays and other commitments, we finally got that chance to take the scope outside and target our first nebula. Since we had the scope we have mainly just looked at Jupiter, and the moon.

Watching Stargazing Live last week we really got into the idea of finding out first nebula, so Saturday night the scope went into the garden to cool down and we took our binos out as well. Even though I was feeling pretty dire (man flu dont you know lol) the skies were calling. Spotting Orion's Belt was easy enough and coming down from the lowest star in the belt at about 5 o'clock we noticed it, even through the bins it was awe inspiring so we swiftly moved onto the scope and - WOW!!! Its just incredible to finally see something so many on here have seen and imaged. Even though the image isnt anything like what is depicted in books it just takes your breath away doesnt it. Next up is to have a go at pictures with our 1000D. Any advice gratefully received :)

The Great Orion Nebula is one of the best sights in the sky. Imaging such deep sky objects is non-trivial, however. You will need a lot of patience. Having said that, M42 is one of the best objects to star with, because it is large (not much magnification needed) and comparatively bright (shorten exposure times yield decent results).

Good luck!

Typically now the bug has truly bitten us, the sky has been a blanket of cloud every night!

ye thats about right! I think astronomers need to have the patience of a saint to keep the interest going as its spoilt so many times by the Great British weather.

Clear Skies :icon_eek:

Alan

The Orion Nebula looks great with any optics - it is great to see the amazing details with a large scope, and then to try and pull as much detail out of it as possible with a pair of binoculars after. I have seen it through my 10" scope, and then looked at it through the 8X50 finder, and I can see the large dark dust pillar, and the main shape of the nebula, even with such low magnification optics. I also love framing it against the trees on the horizon when it is down low - you can see the branches swaying in front of a massive glowing cloud of dust when you look at it with binoculars like this.

Just saw this tonight for the first time myself and it's amazing :evil1:

Even dragged my poor hubby out in the freezing cold wearing nothing but his work shirt and trousers to make him look as well :D

Next on the "must see" list is andromeda but I'm not having much luck with it as I think it is hiding behind our house most of the time! Need to get some nice (dark) open ground to have a look...

M42 is just AMAZING. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that if M42 was a s close to us as the Sun is that it would fill the whole sky both during the day and the night. You would not be able to see anything but M42 from ANY location on earth.The light from it would put the whole planet earth in permanent day light.

Even the half of the Earth that was pointing away from it.

Awesome!! We had a look for M42 quickly the other night and found it and I was amazed too! we had to look at the star to the right of it to see the shape but you could clearly see a greenish cloud round the stars!

Like mentioned above, since then its been blumin cloudy since and i've not been able to put anymore peeper's time in! haha

Porl''

Archived