Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42, M43 and the Running Man

jgs001

I managed to get a lot more data and subs last night, 2 hours.. but had to hair dryer the objectives 4 times... I really need some dew tapes... I lost about 4 or 5 subs to the dew. Anyway... I also messed up the processing and forgot to include my core image in the stack, deselected as the reference frame and couldn't align it... so have to restack and reprocess later, I used the burn tool to force down the burnt out core on this one... And ended up finishing as Orion moved behind the bird feeder... :)

25x5 minutes @ ISO800

Imaging: Celestron 80ED, Canon 450d, SW LPR, Nebulosity

Guiding: Konus Vista 80s, QHY5v, PHD

Mount: HEQ5

m422011save.jpg

there will be another rendition of this later with the core data added in..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, i notice you have Nebulosity. Do you mind me asking why you don't use that for stacking? I have the demo of Nebulosity 2 and love it, reminds me of Imagesplus. Had mixed results with Deepskystacker, Nebulosity is so much easier.

Thanks guys..

Sy, my camera is not modded.

Mark, It's nearly full frame, I used the lens correction filter to "fix" my non flat field and you lose a little around the edges when you do that.

I've just finished another version of this, and added the core image I produced... and tried a few other little tricks and things..

m422011core25x5.jpg

Details are as in the first post.

Mark, It's nearly full frame, I used the lens correction filter to "fix" my non flat field and you lose a little around the edges when you do that.

That's interesting, surprised you get so much in view, thanks.

Great update as well.

Thanks Mark.. 600mm with an APS-C size sensor.. M31 just fits across the diagonal.

Thanks very much Sara. I'd like to add at least one more nights data to it, see if I can get anymore of the real faint stuff pulled out.. Maybe try 10 minute subs..

They're cracking them John with the second showing great detail in the core.:)

Regarding dew....get yourself some neoprene and knock up some dew shields. I used it one my ED80 and ST80 the other night and got no dew on the objectives at all even after being outside from 6pm to 4am. The scopes were covered on the outside though so i'd definitely recommend it.

Archived