Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable 12V battery-case in progress

Grinde

Few days ago I built a solution for all laptop-related cables in a neat waterproof case (Link to that thread w. photos)

Here's my new work in progress, to find a cheap & troublefree solution to power when it comes to imaging far from 220V AC.

12V 95Ah deepcycle marine-battery, in a €20 plastic toolbox

Six 12V sockets, each with its own fuse (fuse-box below the sockets)

On/off switch with red led for 'on'

quick-connection for battery-charger, so I don't have to pop the lid open to attach it

& some storage-compartment on the top, for cables.

Had to reinforce the handle though, it'll fall off otherwise, from the weight of the battery.

I included a randomly selected object in the photo, for size comparison

5284487642_514c8afe39_z.jpg5287079000_6b9663e8b9_z.jpg

Thanks ppl!

Added more photos in the top of the thread

I drank the randomly selected bewerage, & moved on to finishing the project, did all the wiring now & after the shots were taken, I've also added 2 straps that keep the battery tight to the sleeping-roll bottom (isolating a lil' bit from the cold ground, keeps battery running longer, perhaps?)

BeyondVision gave me some tips about giving each 12Vsocket a seperate 0V with star point at the battery ground terminal, so I might rewire it after the weekend. I'm also thinking about making some tests, comparing how much dewbands introduce noise in the CCD when run on the same battery... You guys think taking darks/bias would be enough for that kind of test?

Hi Just a word of warning,I was under the impression that when in use battries let of heat and a form of gas I think you should make some vents if you have not done it already

all the best

Doug

Essex

Lead Acid batteries will generally release hydrogen gas when charging...which is why they always recommend charging them in a ventilated area as a spark when taking off the charging leads can result in singed eyebrows.

Believe me, an exploding lead-acid battery is not a pretty sight. I once saw someone blow a tractor battery up (short circuited it)...he was very lucky to escape unscathed and with his eyesight intact:icon_eek:

As long as the top of the box is open and in a well ventilated area when charging should not be a problem. Yes a battery exploding is not a pretty sight and can cause many problems and death in certain cases. I witnessed a mechanic trying to solder a radiator seam in a car let the torch go over the top of the battery and it exploded. He lost his right eye and was scared for life. Its nothing to play with and think safety first around batterys. Another choise is a sealed Gel Cell battery.

Not wanting to sound like a doom-monger , but the above warnings are valid.

Batteries store a shedload of energy in them, and are designed to release this energy in a massive, short-lived load. I knew a mechanic that managed to short out a battery with his wrist-watch strap when he was working on a car. That was a hospital trip to dig the molten metal from the strap out of his arm, and for a number of skin grafts.

Just be mindful when working on these things. 999 times out of a thousand everything will be fine. The one time that it isn't can end up being messy.

very interesting indeed, well thought out,

i know little about the electrics side of these things so would it be possiable to do some simple diagrams off the electrics for me.

i have a smallish alarm battery which i think would suit this design well.

cheers

Rob

Bear in mind that battery boost type devices etc come in completely sealed units with no need for vents.

There is truth to old stories about batteries and current acid ones...but modern sealed batteries don't vent gases.

Obviously regardless of the type...battery safety is important. Nobody wants a battery to go bad on them :(

Archived