Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to you

EssexMigrant

Hi all!I live just outside Peterborough UK. I'm just getting into 'serious' astonomy after wasting about fifty years casually looking up! I got hooked when I downloaded Tachyon onto my phone. It inspired me to take my birding scope (Kowa 883) outside and look at Jupiter. I saw the main upper band for first time, and then looked at shadows in craters on the Moon; I was blown away. Since then I've picked up four second hand scopes to play with. The three better ones are a C102ED, AT90EDT and a ETX125PE. The latter was to all intents purposes new, having not even been unwrapped! All of these scopes together cost less than half what I paid for my Kowa, but have a LOT more potential I feel. I've also bought a few eyepieces, three second hand, and two new. The new pair were a 5mm Radian, and a 10mm Hyperion. The others were a 20mm W/O, a 26 and 40 Meade SP. All three of these came together with an 1 1/4" Ultra Block filter. I also got new a 2" Revelation diagonal. Last night a Meade camera turned up, so I'm nearly ready to start!! I hope to unpack the 125 soon and do some indoor playing and setting up. I suspect that this may end up being the jobby that gets most use. Not only for the goto, but ease of getting it out the door. The one I'm really keen to try is the AT, but until I get an adaptor for my EQ3/2 mount, I'll have to be patient. I did have the C102 out in the frozen snow the week before last, but wasn't that impressed with kneeling on ice! I did however get the best view of M42 I've ever had. So that's about it. I'm anticipating that the few short years I've got left will be a lot more interesting.Max

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brantuk, yes, I thought about it afterwards, and I think a better plan would have been to not have attempted viewing anything near the zenith!! The C102 is clearly a nice scope, but equally clearly, it needs a tall tripod which I don't have. I should have stuck to Orion, instead of hopping about. I found out only this morning that the small group of stars I'd been intrigued by, were called the Trapezium; I'll have another look at those next time I'm out. I think Orion may well become my favourite area, but I only got into this about three weeks ago, and have SO MUCH to learn. What I'm loving more than anything is, it's taking me back to my childhood when I spent more time looking at the sky. For so many years now, living mainly in towns with horrific street lighting, there's not been that 'wow' factor. Plus the fact that I rarely go out at night. That 'go out at night' should have read 'went' out at night! Every night now I'm looking to see if it's clear. If the moon is too bright I just grab a pair of bins and casually scan; it's just nice to be outside.

Max

Hi Max, a very warm welcome to SGL, do I detect from your intro : "the few short years I have left", that you are, as they say, over the hill, I am afraid I am in that category and past the point of setting up in icy conditions, however, I do admire our band of brothers who image in this weather, to bring us such splendid pictures of the night sky, enjoy the forum.

John.

I entirely agree John! There are some unbelievable amateur pics around. I'm looking forward to playing with my NexImage (I just realised it's Celestron, not Meade as I mentioned earlier). I've done a bit of digiscoping of birds, so I'm not entirely clueless, but I'm also aware that it's an entirely different specialality. I've read that the NexImage is not the best gear around by a long shot, but I figure it'll be a good enough introduction to the 'game'.

Max

Welcome Max

The ETX will serve you well ,easy to transport and set up.I have the 125A.T. its been good to me for the past 4 years

Russell

Hi Russell,

It's good to hear your 125 has been reliable for you. I was getting a little nervous reading some of the reports on Weasner's site! I'm waiting for a day when I can get mine out and set it up.

Once again, thanks for all additional welcomes!

Max

Archived