Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ikharus 102mm ED Unboxing

ribuck

I have the Ikharus. Unfortunately so far I have only taken photo of neighbours chimney to test out with Canon EOS 500D attached.

Still waiting for darker nights to get into imaging properly. I did view the moon during the day once but it was a tad misty so not really able to comment properly. Photos of Ikharus attached to my CG-5 mount for those interested.

James

post-22382-133877613796_thumb.jpg

post-22382-133877613803_thumb.jpg

post-22382-133877613808_thumb.jpg

post-22382-133877613813_thumb.jpg

post-22382-133877613818_thumb.jpg

post-22382-133877613822_thumb.jpg

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it looks like after a few weeks, my focuser has finally been repaired after I managed to damage it in a nasty trip.

Hopefully Ian king will be sending it out this week. so i can get back to practising some imaging.

Rich.

Well it looks like after a few weeks, my focuser has finally been repaired after I managed to damage it in a nasty trip.

Hopefully Ian king will be sending it out this week. so i can get back to practising some imaging.

Rich.

That's great news looking forward to seeing your results

Jake

Out of interest, anyone looking for some good sample photo's taken using the Ikharus, if you go to iankings website and look on the right hand side, there a section called "worth a look" and it has links to some ian's latest photo's taken with the Ikharus 102mm.

Out of interest, anyone looking for some good sample photo's taken using the Ikharus, if you go to iankings website and look on the right hand side, there a section called "worth a look" and it has links to some ian's latest photo's taken with the Ikharus 102mm.

:) Thanks, I missed those Ikharus photos on the Ian King site , going to take a look now.

Hope your scope gets back to you all ok after it,s repair, looking forward to some of your future astro photos.

Right now I am reading up on Canon DSLR,s. The new 1100D looks in my price range and from reading about it on Gary Honis website it,s dark noise looks low and is similar to the canon 550D.

So I now have two decisions to make, which DSLR and which scope from the Orion 80 triple or the Ikharus 102mm.

JamesT - Your pics look really good the 3 inch focuser really looks strong on your Ikarus.

Have you had chance to do much visual star gazing JamesT? Would to read a quick opinion from you?

I did look at those pics and they are stunning. The equipment used wasn't cheap either. Have only seen 2 pics taken with a dslr so far both of them M42 and they were really great

Would be good to see some more pics taken with a dslr as that's what I will be using for a while yet.

Is it possible to use the field flattener without the focal reducer ?

hey jnc, the Ikharus field flattener / reducer are one in the same, i.e. a single unit that cant be split. The reduction is only a side effect of the design of the flattener.

You can however buy flatteners that have virtually no reduction due to their design. In contrast i think i've also heard of some flatteners having a barlow/magnification type effect......i think it was the televue parracor which increases the focal ratio by about 15%

Rich.

I did look at those pics and they are stunning. The equipment used wasn't cheap either. Have only seen 2 pics taken with a dslr so far both of them M42 and they were really great

Would be good to see some more pics taken with a dslr as that's what I will be using for a while yet.

Is it possible to use the field flattener without the focal reducer ?

Try the skywatcher flattener, it doesn't reduce so a dslr will not become 'too' wide field... it works perfectly with my 100/6 & 110/5.9 meg, it should be perfect for you and only £69!

Try the skywatcher flattener, it doesn't reduce so a dslr will not become 'too' wide field... it works perfectly with my 100/6 & 110/5.9 meg, it should be perfect for you and only £69!

The Teleskop Service Flattener (2") also does not reduce the image scale. It is supposed to work from F/5 to F/8 scopes. It may be more expensive than the Skywatcher.

The control of the blue channel, which you notice in imaging blue stars, can be imperfect both in triplets and doublets. As far as I can see it is down to the individual model, not the lens type, until you are right at the top end of the market and then theory does indeed triumph over production detail because all other things are equal. In fact this astigmatism prone little quadruplet showed poor blue control as well.

The triplet Meade 5000s give some bloat around blue stars but the doublet ED80s I have seen control this very well.

In premium refractors it is certainly easier to get the star colour right than in budget ones because (I'm guessing here) the dispersion of the blue affects the remaining star colour as well as producing a halo, often just a small one. Although a hideous price the Tak FSQ really does 'just do it.' But in Ps you can do wonders with those halo effects.

Hope the focuser is soon back. These things happen.

Olly

Hi olly, yeah it was my first ever trip in 2 years in the observatory, but sods law of all the things to crash down my 15st of weight on, it's had to be the scope.

Even though the focuser took the full force of my weight, Ian informs me that it only damaged a small compression washer, so a cheap and easy repair, so this is testament to the build quality of the focuser.........i.e. built like a tank.

I'm about to ring Ian to see if he will be shipping it back today, fingers crossed.

Rich.

Unfortunately,

I timed it badly as his repair guy was busy for a while before Ian went away, so couldn't get it back to Ian before he went on his imaging trip.

spoke to Ian and he said he'll get it out today :)

Can't wait to get back to do some imaging.

Rich.

Just heard from Ian King........look like he needs to get another part for the focuser as the metal base plate on the focuser is badly scored after the accident, so it might be a while before i get it back :)

So sorry to any of you who were hoping to see some more images taken.

Rich.

Just heard from Ian King........look like he needs to get another part for the focuser as the metal base plate on the focuser is badly scored after the accident, so it might be a while before i get it back :)

So sorry to any of you who were hoping to see some more images taken.

Rich.

what a shame i bet you was looking forward to getting it back. hopefully it wont be to long before you get it back

jake

Hi Rich

I believe you should be fine with vaseline ( a bit thin ) or try a small touch of rocol RTV - its normally thread tapping grease. Finally tallow would be the last choice to grease your fine threads.

regs

Mike

I would use PTFE spray to lube the lens cap.

Trend TRENDICOTE/60 PTFE Spray 60ml - TRENDICOTE60 - £3.70 - BuyaParcel.com - £3.95 delivery for most UK items

This meant for lubricating woodworking router cutters. but it can be used practically any where you don't want greasy stains. Very handy to have around. Spray some into the cap that comes with the can then dip in a cotton bud and apply to thread. Job done

Archived