Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new scope

Ant

I knew there wasn't a reason why I didn't visit the sponsor section :D, but to be honest I'm glad that I did.

Steve had an offer going on the C9.25's, this is a scope that I've always wanted. So I took the plunge and phoned Jane to see how she felt about me spending that much money on ANOTHER scope....

30 minutes later I'm talking to Steve, a few days later a big box arrives :)

The C9.25 is huge! Bigger than I was expecting, it looks like an absolute beaut of a scope. I spent a few minutes unpacking and connecting the scope to the mount, it is a cracking partnership.

I've been out for a first light, I really need a proper dew shield - I have a camping matt to do a home made job and I'll order a astrozap strap from Steve after payday.

Apologies for the rubbish pictures, but it's hard to get far enough away in the garage.

ant-albums-equipment-picture7771-c9-25.jpg

ant-albums-equipment-picture7774-corrector.jpg

It also appears that the scope is Faststar compatible - which it shouldn't be...! Do I just pop off the cap that says "Faststar" or unscrew it to get to the collimation bolts, I've read the manual and it doesn't cover that as it says that it ISN'T faststar compatible...

Cheers

Ant

Not sure if I'll go the Fast star route or not, might just do the F6.3 reducer and see how that goes...!

The HEQ5 seemed to cope very well... But you already knew that didn't you Jon???

Any shake due to focusing etc dissipated within a few seconds, and once steady it was pretty good! I think that the HEQ5 is a good match (obviously the EQ6 would have been better) but I don't have one of those.

I managed to get first light on Saturday, I spun it round to Jupiter and I was amazed - I have never seen so much detail on Jupiter. I was using the low power "Free" eyepiece that came with the scope and saw my first ever shadow transit :)

I decided to attach the DMK and did manage to fire off some a couple of AVI but the seeing was awful and by this time the corrector had started to dew up - I made a temporary dew shield but it was too late, even facing the scope down just made it freeze over :D

But all in all I've very very impressed !

Ant

The sx wheel and OAG are works of art :D - they just work, the fit is perfect.

Focusing the two camera's is a pain in the wotsit, but no more than any other I've seen... Just takes a little time.

Sorry Steve, I was hoping for some snow - would have been cheaper to have hired a snow machine! :)

Ant

Archived