little quick help for an offer bushnell 8" dob

hey guys about 2 months ago i bidded and lost (as i was in work) on a bushnell 8" dobsonion telescope, (went for £34)

iv just received a second chance offer as the winner couldnt pick up (i live around 5 mins from the seller)

from the pictures hes used it is in really good condution

and iv been given a choice to have it for 34

should i?

well iv picked it up and it seems in really good condution no marks only thing is dust on outer casein

is there any way i can see if its fully working? iv never brought a dob before and my other 2 telescops dont need any maintaince

eye peices i had with it are

25mm kellner

6mm supper plossl celestron (wanted one of these for my other telescope woo! :) )

well just tested its first light!!!

i had about 30 mins of capella before it went all snowy picture!!

used my meade 25mm and its celestron 4mm

the 25 mil was really clear was really supprised alot closer than my etx 70

the 4mm seemd a little blury i couldnt focus it at all maybe 4mm is too low for the speed of the telescope, im not sure or the culmination is out iv never owned a telescope that needed to do it so i dunno wot im looking for

any help :D would be a god send!!

Gareth

I'm guessing that this is an 8" F/6 scope so the focal length is 1200mm. The 4mm eyepiece will be giving 300x which is too much power generally under our viewing conditions so I'm not surprised the view was blurry. I think you will find a 6mm eyepiece (200x) a more useful high power tool. You would also find something around 15mm (80x) useful as well.

Great bargain it sounds like - well done! All you need now is to learn about collimation. AstroBabys link above will tell you all you need to know - you may also need a tool - I use a "Hotech" laser collimator but there are cheaper ones on the market (or s/h from the For Sale section) :D

well i just tried it out for about an hr it was outside for over 40 mins cooling down

it was fantastic views on jupitor with my 25mm could see it clearly alot lot lot better than my meade it was actually closer than my 9mm on my meade i think i need to get a 32 or 40mm lens now :D

the meade 9mm was really nice in it alot closer and could make more fetures out. the 6mm i had (made a mistake thought it was 4) was really fuxzzy and couldnt focus it at all might be useful in my other scopes maybe

2 things i did notice though

focuser wasnt the worlds best did need a little fiddlin but seemed really good

and a little tiny nudge would mve the telescope a little but i guess changin the material on the dob base would fix that

thats the telescopes official first light!!

Archived