Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sketch of the 19 PSC occultation by the Moon

Roel

Last night the mag.5 star 19 PSC was occulted by the Moon from the Netherlands. I've made a sketch of the Moon in the hour before the occultation. A few minutes before the star was obscured by the Moon I drew the tiny dot in place. Actually the star looked a bit "smaller" through the eyepiece, but I found it pretty difficult to render the brightness and keep the dot small at the same time. Never thougt a star would be more difficult to sketch than a full disk Moon! The orange color however, is pretty accurate.

White pastel pencil on black paper

76mm f/4 mini-dobson

Deventer, nov. 16, 19.00 - 20.00 UT.

Viewed through the living room window

sterbedekking_19PSC_16nov1021.jpg

Great sketch. I was actually observing the moon at the time and was unaware until i looked that this event was taking place. The star was an amazing orange colour in contrast to the Moon.

You have made a really good representation of what i could actually see.

excellent drawing, i attemped this on the same night but i got to cold was you indoors looking out? or was you wrapped up cos my feet give in first then my fingers followed by everthing else, lol anyway once again great drawing ...

Thanks everyone!

What paper do you use, I have tried many but they seem the struggle to hold my pastel pencils?
I don't use any special type of paper. I bought a pack of simple thick black paper from a copy-shop.

To make a smooth background like the moon's disk you'll have to use some blending stump or your finger to rub the pastel on the paper after you apply it with a pencil. If you only use your pencil, you'll end up whith a very rough grainy disk.

When you have a nice evenly bright disk you can use a normal eraser to scharpen the edges of that disk. Then use your finger to "rub" the dark features into the drawing. A sharp pastel pencil can be used to draw the small bright area's and a pointy eraser can be used to "draw'' small shadows.

Have you thought about making a video (perhaps a time lapse) of yourself drawing this? It's an amazing talent that you have, and for people like me, whose artistic talent matured in primary school, I really admire the work of a skilled artist!

Even better put to music :)

Just a thought.

Mike

White pastel pencil on black paper

76mm f/4 mini-dobson

Deventer, nov. 16, 19.00 - 20.00 UT.

Viewed through the living room window

That is an awesome image from very modest equipment and viewing site!

Well, actually the sketch does not 100% represent the view through that window. The image was sharp through the eyepiece.... but double! A dimmer version of the Moon overlapped the other image. I decided to draw just one of them ;)

The telescope I used is a Skywatcher Infiny. Here's a picture (don't laugh, please):

attachment.jpg

I've never thought about making a video while drawing, maybe a time-lapse could be a nice idea! But while drawing I turn the paper a lot to prevent my own hand from whiping the pastel (never accidentally touch a pastel drawing or it will be ruined) so such a time-lapse might become a pretty wild video trip! :)

Well, actually the sketch does not 100% represent the view through that window. The image was sharp through the eyepiece.... but double! A dimmer version of the Moon overlapped the other image. I decided to draw just one of them ;)

The telescope I used is a Skywatcher Infiny. Here's a picture (don't laugh, please):

attachment.jpg

I've never thought about making a video while drawing, maybe a time-lapse could be a nice idea! But while drawing I turn the paper a lot to prevent my own hand from whiping the pastel (never accidentally touch a pastel drawing or it will be ruined) so such a time-lapse might become a pretty wild video trip! :)

That's what I'm thinking - just your hands, paper, table and tools and a one minute whizzing video of flailing paper and pastel, showing the image taking shape.

Put to music :D

Best,

Mike

Archived