Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 Attempt

mike_777

Hi All

This is the first half successfull image I have produced. It is approx 3 hours of data made up of 5min exposures. 2 hours of the data was washed out by the full moon and I think this is why I have had to over process to get an half decent result. I didnt take any darks or flats and the equipment used was:

cannon 1000d

WOZS70 with MkII 0.8 flattner

Nexstar6se and QHY5 for autoguiding

HEQ5 pro Mount

I did have trouble guiding and PHD was having to make an unsual amount of corrections. Do you think this may be due to bad polar alignment?

any comments will be appreciated.

thanks

Mike

post-20967-133877502401_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike, there is far more right with that pic than wrong. The dim outer areas have been well captured. The 3 hours has paid off since you have pretty good signal to noise ratio. Your field flatness also looks pretty good. Some very nice work on the processing with the core not being burnt out but still looking natural.

Unless you have mega hours you will usually hit the noise ceiling when processing M31. The key is recognising where the ceiling is an not pushing beyond it. Seems you've sussed that out pretty well although you could probably hold back a bit more on the histogram stretch

Thanks for the comments guys, Its these sorts of coments that make you want to do more! (shame about the terrible skys we have). Martin you mention streching the histogram, you will have to excuse me but im a complete novice at processing, what is streching the histogram?

regards

mike

Martin

I know what the histogram is, Just wondered how it looks when its streched?

regards

mike

Ooops sorry. If you look at the histogram before you have used levels and curves it is usually a skinny thing way over to the left. Using levels and curves broadens the histogram by pulling it over to the R. By the time you've finished it will be fatter but still predominantly over to the left. You know the pips are being squeeked if it starts to break up into a tooth comb pattern

blumming lovely, that!!! I'd be more than chuffed with that image.

Do you have quite dark skies? I can't go for more than about 1 minute without light pollution taking over.

And did you have to reject many subs? I usually find i have to reject a few.

Archived