NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

lidl binos have arrived

rowan46

I feel I am to blame when I raved about these when they were last on offer. The pair I picked up where absolutely brilliant. So brilliant and cheap that I went and bought 3 more pairs.

A word of warning. The collimation went out on these almost immediately, so that I was seeing double. Awful, and I'm now on my final pair! Would have been better buying a single decent pair at 4 times the price (I already have a pair of £800 Leicas anyway!)

You pays your money .... eating Humble pie .... are phrases that spring to mind.

They've switched brands now. I still have an original pair of Meade 10x50 from Lidl from years back....they are brilliant. Back two years ago i bought a pair of the Bressers for my son and they lasted two weeks. Managed to get them swapped and the second pair are still going strong alomst two years on. It's a lottery and if you get a good pair you need to treat them carefully.

I've had mine for a year now and still in good collimation (the Rockwells that look like Bressers re-badged). The thing is - at £15 - even if they go pear shaped I'm not going to be having any heartache.

If anyone gets a pair that are dodgey straight away then Liddls will refund or exchange with no quibbles for up to a month. So I reckon it's a good punt :)

Likewise I have the Bresser ones that were in Lidl a few years ago - they are still great binos - ok they dont hold up agaisnt my Opticrons but then they were 1/10th the price. The bresser ones had a one year manufacturers warranty as well.

I heard they were doing some good ones so drove over there yesterday and got some and yes I could see Jupiters moons tonight fairly easily and great for watching the goldfinches and woodpecker in the garden too ! 15 pounds seems a good deal to me !

I bought a pair of 10 X 42's from '7dayshop' & amazingly good they are too for £21-£22. Nitrogen-filled, 60 degree eyepieces, roof prisms, rubber armoured & waterproof, good colour-correction, fairly sharp. They are slightly out of collimation but it doesnt bother me and there is some internal reflection at the edge. If their collimation gets too bad I could use them as monoculars if it's possible to seperate both halves plus I might use the optics to make a 10 X 42 finder to replace my home made 7 X 30.

Archived