NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aurora Returns

The first of the season for me,was just about to go upstairs to bed but luckily took a look out the window before i did.Ran like an idiot down to the shore and managed to get a few shots.

This shot is taken looking across the Pentland Firth towards Orkney.The Hoy Hills are silhouetted against the aurora,the orange glow to the bottom right is the gas flare from the Flotta oil terminal.

Luckily for me the clouds stayed low.Even managed a little aurora reflection.

Roll on solar max!!

IMG_2192flickr.jpg

I have to admit to jealousy here;

I've been to Orkney and Shetland many many times either family or work and still have never seen the Aurora, I've worked winters way way North of Norway above Hammerfest, still haven't seen it.

I give up, think I'm destined never to see it.

Still your picture goes a little way to make up for it.

Cheers, the piccy is a cracker. :)

WOW!!!

I would love to live in a place as magical as that.

Is the rent cheap up there?

The rent is quite reasonable up here ,as are the house prices although not as cheap as they used to be.

Thanks all for your kind comments.

This has really whetted my appetite for more,really do hope its a bumper winter for auroras.

I really do hope all of you who havent seen an aurora display manage to see at least one,especially a strong one,its something you wont forget in a hurry.

Good luck to you all.

I managed to see a display whilst flying back from L.A. to Heathrow in January, It was above Greenland and was fantastic :D:)

Mark.

Lucky you ,i would love to see a display north of the arctic circle,i've been up there on holiday but it was summer...bad move...:)

Just so jealous Stuart ! I would love to see an aurora before I shuffle off but here you are seeing it on a regular basis- what can I say , thanks for sharing it's a great pic

One of the few advantages of living at the "end of the world"

Wow that is amazing Stuart thanks for sharing it with us. I am going to have to give my sister a visit on the Ilse of Lewis the Outer Hebrides and cross my fingers that it occurs :)

Regards

Kevin

Best of luck Kevin,i hope you manage to see a good display.

Archived