Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simple Bahtinov mask construction

Bizibilder

I thought I'd post some pics of my new Bahtinov mask. It is made from a Tesco black "folding clipboard" and four bits of foam plastic.

The plastic clipboard is about 1.3mm thick and is JUST big enough to cut a mask for my 200P at 9.25" OD.

The foam blocks are carefully undercut so that when in place they grip the end of the telescope tube (rather well I must admit!). They are attached with Dunlop Thixofix contact adhesive - hot melt glue gun would also work but both superglue and pva failed a test piece that I made.

The mask was made by taping (double sided) a printout of the correct design to the plastic. Cutting out with a SHARP stanley knife and then trimming any loose bits with a scalpel.

post-17157-133877498565_thumb.jpg

post-17157-13387749857_thumb.jpg

post-17157-133877498573_thumb.jpg

post-17157-133877498577_thumb.jpg

post-17157-133877498581_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just an aside - The four foam blocks that I used to hold the mask to the scope actually work very well! It is easy to slip the mask on and off the end of the scope and there can be no damage to the scope/paintwork at all. As a bonus I keep the mask on top of all the bits in my foam-filled "flight case" - it just squashes flat.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Do these make a big difference? Is it really worth all the effort? Do they work with every sort of scope? I too am a "Blue Perter" sort of person :)

Yes, you will not get a better method of focusing over than computer aided.

I buy mine from ebay, the guy that supplies FLO at about £18 a shot. Well worth it and he will make any that you want. He recently did mine for my SuperNewt at F2.8 and I tell you, the slots are very very small.

Morris Engraving is the chap on ebay or go to FLO for standard scope types.

Yes Gina they work on any scope. I'm too mean to fork out on commercial ones! I have made masks for the 200P, both 120 refractors (same mask!) and the 80mm refractor and the 180 Mak! All for less than £2.50. That was for the two Tesco clipboards - the foam was "free".

A couple of hints - use a new blade in a stanley knife to cut them out and a steel ruler to get the edges straight - and MIND YOUR FINGERS!! For glue I find that "contact adhesive" is the one to use - even if it is a bit smelly.

I have a confession to make! The masks for the ED80 and 120 are slightly different in that the slits are cut in a thinner piece of plastic (from a Tesco's black plastic file) and this, in turn, is stuck to a thicker annulus cut from the plastic clipboard - I did this as is it difficult to cut the narrow slits in the thicker plastic.

The job is much easier with this method - you can use a lighter weight scalpel and a single stroke of the blade will cut the plastic cleanly. I've appended a pic of the mask for the ED80 made by this method.

An extra hint - don't skimp on the double sided tape when sticking the template down or the whole thing will move and you get wobbly slits!

post-17157-133877707975_thumb.jpg

Archived