Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon book / map advice

Paulb3098

Hi, I’ve been looking for a good moon map / book. I would like some akin to Rukl’s “Atlas of the moon” (but not so expensive) where I can get an understanding not just where to look but some background on what I am viewing. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks in advance Paul.

If you hunt around the second hand books market you could find a copy of "A Concise Guide in Colour. Moon Mars and Venus", which Rukl did in the 70s. It's a kind of "mini Rukl" and is very good. He also did a companion volume on the constellations.

Here is a link to a Cloudy Nights post that has some pictures of the book: Telescope Reviews: Re: Pocket Lunar Atlas?

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

Look no further than this:

Lunar Field Atlas

Very similar to Rukl's Atlas of the moon and free to download and print.

Also, download Virtual Moon Atlas by Christian Legrand & Patrick Chevalley

Virtual Moon Atlas | Download Virtual Moon Atlas software for free at SourceForge.net

It is fantastic and free!!!! (and Cartes Du Ceil while you are about it).

Another good resource for a full Moon Chart is:

Lunar maps

lots of charts in B&W or colour with libration if you require.

You will probably not need anything else, I was half way through the Lunar 100 when I discovered VMA and after I started using it at the eyepeice it made it too easy!:)

Enjoy them all!

I have two that i use, a book by Ian Ridpath that contains about 20 pages of line drawings and photographs of the moon in sufficient detail for most small to medium scopes, and a folding Rukl atlas sold by Sky and Telescope that gives a 2' x2' map in great detail. I got the map in refractor semi-inverted but I use it with my reflector with a little mental gymnastics. Ialso use VMA for planning my viewing and reviewing what I saw afterward.

I'm afraid you may not be able to get teh Ridpath book in the UK (A Pocket Guide to Astronomy) as it seems to have been a special printing for Chapter's, but he may have the same information in other books. For a while it was my only source of moon mapping, and it is very useful.

Oh, I also have a copy of Patrick Moore's Survey of the Moon (1965) which is very useful and contains some information not in the Ridpath or the Rukl.

There's an online version of Rukl's. I wondered if the site owner was violating copyright law by putting it online, but there's some small print on the chart index page which Google translates as: "prepared for a unique personal and educational use (thanks to the 'Author Antonin Rùkl)". This leads me to believe they received permission from Mr. Rukl to put his atlas online.

If not... hey, i didn't do it. :) :) LINK

If you can get a copy then I would recommend "The New Atlas of The Moon".

Its fully illustrated with full page images of the phases for each day of a lunation. Overlays with names and identifying features ar provided for every 2 day image. An excellent detailed write up of the main features is also provided.

I think its out of print at the moment but copies can still be got via the usual book sites, the one I got was from Canada.

Philj

If you can get a copy then I would recommend "The New Atlas of The Moon".

Its fully illustrated with full page images of the phases for each day of a lunation. Overlays with names and identifying features ar provided for every 2 day image. An excellent detailed write up of the main features is also provided.

I think its out of print at the moment but copies can still be got via the usual book sites, the one I got was from Canada.

Philj

Hi,

I also bought a copy of the above from a large rivers'

tributary in Canada for $31 CDN, there also book by A Rutl at

$570CDN.

mijijim

Archived