Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Damn! How many others have had this?

Greyhound

We just had our very first and brand new scope arrive this morning. :(

It was eagerly unpacked and set up. I then read the instructions and set it up correctly! Loaded software onto PC, and we have been viewing what was going to be out there tonight and now it's raining cats and dogs, blanket cloud and not any forseeable let up tonight! Gutted or what...:)

On a brighter note it looks like clearer skies around here tomorrow though.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you buy a telescope you should always buy an umbrella at the same time. The theory is that Murphy gets too confused: what to do? rain (but then the umbrella gets used) or shine (in which case the telescope does). Although what happens in practice is sunshine during the day and cloudy skies all night - you can't win.

Unbelievably - it's usually the opposite for me. On the last 3 occasions I've bought a new scope, it was clear that very night.

Now here is what I need you to do: IF you want unlimited clear nights from now on, YOU have to persuade my wife to allow me to buy large amounts of astronomical equipment, and then there will be clear nights :(

Disclaimer: Past performance is not a guide to future returns. :)

How many others have had this?

I'd guess all of us, and it's not limited to a new 'scope - it's ANY new bit of kit.

the problem is that all manufacturers fill their carriage boxes with clouds to reduce the risk of damage in transit - they cannot be seen but instantly escape into the atmosphere as you open the box.

Top tip get a big fishing brolly and a sea fishing tripod to put it in. I use it all the time and when it rains I can still carry on with out getting soaked or just leave the telescope up under the 52 inch brolly. Using a 3 legged sea fishing rod tripod gives you the height you need to adjust the brolly to any position. The sea fishing tripod I got for about 15 quid and the brolly you can get for about the same cheap ones all you need. Also the clouds know when you have bought new gear and will gather over your observing sight for weeks.

The weatherman (errm, sorry weather person of diverse gender, background, ethnicity etc...) should just tell us regions where there have been most astro equipment purchases in the previous few days, then put black rainclouds over those regions on the map.

:)

Top tip get a big fishing brolly and a sea fishing tripod to put it in. I use it all the time and when it rains I can still carry on with out getting soaked or just leave the telescope up under the 52 inch brolly. Using a 3 legged sea fishing rod tripod gives you the height you need to adjust the brolly to any position. The sea fishing tripod I got for about 15 quid and the brolly you can get for about the same cheap ones all you need. Also the clouds know when you have bought new gear and will gather over your observing sight for weeks.

Thanks for that idea! :) Actually I have the lot, as I have both 'Coarse' and 'Sea' fishing set up's. That is what got me into the night sky so much, as over the years standing out on the beach if I was on a night tide, waiting for something to happen and just looking up, I missed a few fish doing that too! But it was worth it sometimes. To all those who were clouded over last night, I apologise, as it was obviously my fault for setting up the new scope! :(

When you buy a telescope you should always buy an umbrella at the same time. The theory is that Murphy gets too confused: what to do? rain (but then the umbrella gets used) or shine (in which case the telescope does). Although what happens in practice is sunshine during the day and cloudy skies all night - you can't win.

Fog!

Archived