Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 24th October

JonTT

Hi, my first post here. I have a very nice scope (a 14" Meade LX200 ACF) and a DMK 21AU04 camera. I just want to know if I should be getting better images than the attached, or if I'm on the right lines. I know an awful lot is down to "seeing" though...

post-21823-133877496312_thumb.jpg

That's a great start ! But here's the good news , you can get better than that when conds. allow :) HTH !

TBH

this was taken with my 7" Mak http://stargazerslounge.com/members/beamish-albums-karlo-s-pics-picture6317-another-jop-lrgb.jpg

so imagine what another 7" would offer ?????? or look at Pete L's Jupiter " Starman" pics- practice aye,etc .... but still you get the idea

Looks good to me. :) With your aperture I reckon you could go for a larger image and use a quality barlow.

Agreed, provided you have seeing which is at least reasonably steady.

Some of the world's leading planetary imagers are using 14" SCTs and the rest are mostly using custom built super high quality Newtonians of about the same aperture, just to give you something to aspire to, should you ever find yourself with one of those rare nights with "steel engraving" seeing.

As Brian says seeing, collimation capturing and processing, in that order maybe collimation first depending how out it is. but thats the rule right there. And as mentioned which i agree, more scale, but only when seeing can take it, or it will be worse. would be very interested to see what this scope did under those conditions

As Brian says seeing, collimation capturing and processing, in that order maybe collimation first depending how out it is. but thats the rule right there. And as mentioned which i agree, more scale, but only when seeing can take it, or it will be worse. would be very interested to see what this scope did under those conditions

Ditto all that, and practice focusing, taking plenty of time and bracket your focusing as well

I'm using a Meade 2x Teleextender. What would I need instead to increase the scale? Also, I'm using a microfocuser, do I need to focus each channel independantly. I tend to focus on the red channel and use that setting for the others as well. FYI - I'm grabbing around 25 seconds per channel at around 60fps.

Archived