Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello Everyone

CH

A slightly different introduction here. (Moderators please feel free to move this if you feel it is appropriate)

I'm totally new to astronomy and don't know much about it. At present I don't even own a pair of binoculars although I have a telescope arriving next week.

The reason this is a different introduction is that I live in a place by the sea called Datca in south Turkey, lovely place unspoilt by tourism (and the dreaded light pollution that all astronomers seem to hate), also we have great cloudless skies for a majority of the year. If you want to see how unspoilt it is put Datca into Google earth and have a look at the peninsula.

Therefore I'm thinking of opening a small bed and breakfast place complete with facilities for astronomy (similar to COAA) which I'm sure most of you have heard of. I've already written to the astronomical societies around the UK and there seems to be quite an interest (especially as a lot of people know Turkey now after visiting here for the last eclipse).

I'm registering here to get some advice from experienced people as to the kind of equipment and facilities people would generally expect at a 'holiday observatory' such as this. I won't be able to stretch to the size of some of the stuff they have at COAA but I'm willing to put in some quality instruments to make it attractive to users.

Apart from the commercial stuff I will no doubt be picking your brains after the first scope arrives.

Any comments would really be appreciated

Clive

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Clive, I've been holidaying in Turkey for about 18 years and I know all about those clear skys :sunny: I wish you every success with your venture and there will be lots of advice on equipment coming your way, I'm sure. :D

What does that word 'clear' mean?? anyone??

Welcome Clive!!

It sounds a very interesting venture and if that forecast is typical - I reckon you're onto a winner!!!!

Keep us posted, ask lots of questions :D

Hello and welcome to the forum...

I'd go with the scopes that Steve has suggested along with a couple of Coronado Solar scopes, for some daytime solar observing. It would be a waste in your part of the world not to have a couple.

Also a low power widefield scope around the 100mm mark for nice "Wow" views, to be used along with a white light solar filter for the sunspots in the daytime.

No doubt some other suggestions will be along in a moment.....

Would would the budget be.....I love spending other peoples cash :D

Drooling here Clive, oh I could spend so much of your money!!! Agree with Steve's big dobsonian. 16" would be awesome. A goto SCT as well, 12" fine but could be smaller to suit budget. Also a couple of small widefield refractors on an EQ6 mount. I would use the budget on scopes and mount rather than on imaging kit. The imagers out there can bring their own cameras, laptops, filters focal reducers etc.

Sounds fantastic. I have a feeling you have posted in the right place. Now, if you would like any onsite advice I could let you know when I might be available :D

Thanks for the welcomes and replies so far.

CC - Thanks for that weather link ( could be useful for advertising later) shame about next Sunday though ! :D

Steve- Thanks for that noted

Phattire - The budget, I know I'll have to spend couple of thousand at least on scopes , presumably most people have there own cameras for imaging ??.

Obviously I can get more for my money buying second hand, I won't be doing that until I've learned a lot more about astronomy myself though.

Keep the ideas coming please, it's all being noted

I would use the budget on scopes and mount rather than on imaging kit. The imagers out there can bring their own cameras, laptops, filters focal reducers etc.

Agreed (by 'kitted out for imaging' I was referring to the mount and a guide-scope).

Let us not forget one of the most important factors regarding your venture........

I am sure that many of my fellow scientists on the forum will agree.....

A well stocked wine cellar........

And if you ever need a chef.... :D

Ermm....isnt that what he is asking advice for :?

Ermm.... I just thought HE might have an idea or two of his own seeing as he is the person

thats gonna be spending all his hard earned dosh. (But of course you already knew that) :D

Phattire - no problem on the wine, it's dirt cheap here, not quite the same quality as you are used to though unfortunately, everything else is available. The Mrs and I are both good cooks. Local restaurants are cheap and good quality

Chubster- I'll guarantee you those kind of discounts if you can persuade Steve from First Light to reciprocate with similar discounts on new and used equipment :D

Jamie - As I said in my first post I don't really have the knowledge to discuss equipment in that much detail I will add more on to this when an astronomer friend visits me from Istanbul next week with a scope to get me going (Meade etx 105 with lots of extras). After that I will start looking at the bigger stuff that is being suggested on here to start the observatory.

Unfortunately there is little quality equipment available in Turkey except at ridiculous prices , it will all have to be imported which will be a real pain.

Ok then my thoughts run along these lines......

A couple of big dobs (12" to 16") and a goto reflector/SCT.

As long as its driven i would stick to an equatorial mount for the reflector/SCT.

Steve should be able to sort you out with any requirements.

I would have thought a large Dobsonian - minimum 16 inches

That's not large :whip2: :D

I reckon a bar, a big push-to, a decent imaging platform, a bar, something solar-ish, a bar - and maybe a couple Alt/Az mid-range refractors. Oh, did I say a bar as well?

Arthur

PS - You may also have to supply sunglasses as nobody here has seen a clear sky for so long they've forgotten what they are :D

Archived