NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finally on the TV firm

spaceboy

LOL. Gone on for a while ...... I think I have murdered the thread it's dragged on so long :) I think the trouble is I started the thread at the start of the ep collection instead of at the end. Every time I got a new EP I figured I may as well update my equipment gallery pic. I didn't originally plan on getting it completed so soon but with all the bad weather there was not much else to do. Thanks for the good comments and you have a pretty sweet set up your self, love those Celestron CPC925 ;)
thanks yourself! Are you sure thats it now? :(

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd reserve judgment on 'that's it for now' until after SGL6! :)

I'll be really happy once my eq platform is running and finished - it will be a luxury not to have to constantly move the scope. hopefully you can try it with my scope there - rubbing down primer tonight while I wait for some machined bits and the motor control - this weekend - hopefully.

I'd reserve judgment on 'that's it for now' until after SGL6! :p

I'll be really happy once my eq platform is running and finished - it will be a luxury not to have to constantly move the scope. hopefully you can try it with my scope there - rubbing down primer tonight while I wait for some machined bits and the motor control - this weekend - hopefully.

I keep on checking out that picture I sent you of that one on UKB&S and get tempted at the thought of knocking one up. I know the 3-6 zoom is good in every department but FOV (constant nudging) so if I could get the dob tracking then there would be no issue.

And for all those doubters this really is the complete collection :(:) I know I didn't do myself any favors by saying this 2-3 times before but this really is the last EP update. Unless...... maybe...... a 6 or 7mm BGO comes up at the right price :)

WARNING: Another long pointless update.

Most of you have 3-6 zooms so you've already know what I'm going to say but I didn't want to look ungrateful for Al's efforts. Although the transparency seemed poor last night I found the seeing to be above the usual average. Either that or the revelation duel speed focuser works miracles at focusing. Took till around 00:40 ish for Saturn to sit at it's highest over my 200p and needless to say playing with the zoom was inevitable. I was shocked to see the skies allowing me to zoom right up to 3mm with some clear spells giving me an amazing view of the ringed planet. I did notice that zooming to 3mm is like turning the dimmer switch on a romantic evening. I think Moonshane picked up on this in his review of the EP. At one point and I'm sure we've all done it I felt the need to barlow the zoom and found 2x 3mm didn't get any darker but did in the most flighting of moments give me the most jaw dropping view of the rings I have ever seen in my 6 years of astronomy!! The cassini divide was more than obvious and almost a grainy and shaded look to the inner part of the rings. The 50' FOV did hold up well as you would expect in a driven mount but it did become obvious at high mags that my PA is out. I didn't feel the zoom offered as bright and colour free image as what my TMB clones do but the shorter eye relief and smaller eye lens were no less comfortable to use. For me I think it is a hard call when comparing the zoom over the TMB clones as there is no doubt the zoom is far more user friendly offering no end of adjustment and fun in use but I would say for me the clones offer a much better cleaner views. The only disadvantage with the clones is you would have to have a row of them constantly going in and out of the focuser to achieve what the zoom dose ith the slightest twist of the fingers. I put a lot of the success of last night down to a particularly good nights seeing and very little wind about. I might well have been typing a lot of asterixs if the seeing had been it's usual river of turbulence. All my previous qualms aside I am now happy I invested in the zoom. I would have liked to have kept the clones if my budget had allowed but hey such is life. Given last nights superb at times seeing a BGO is definitely on the cards if they are a good as I keep hearing. So there is still more dragging out of this thread possible :)

• 2 weeks later...
Finally on the BGO firm. :(

Thats off topic - this is a TV firm thread ;)

Interesting reading your last post, on the Nagler 3-6 zoom. I've owned 2 of those now and I'm contemplating a 3rd :)

I can't seem to make my mind up whether I like them or not !.

It's fun sometimes using eyepieces that offer a contrasting type of view - I've acquired a set of 4 University Optics "volcano top" orthos which offer a completely different experience from the Ethe :p

Finally on the BGO firm. :)

you can tell when people have bought too many TV eyepieces. there's no room left in the case for the big stuff so they start filling in the small expanses (how's that for an oxymoron!?) of foam with little orthos etc.

have you used it yet? :(

I have to admit John I now find it hard to take the 3-6 zoom out of the focuser on my goto Explorer 200p. Although I put this down to some reasonably good seeing lately. Hence the 5mm BGO choice as my dedicated planetary EP. The versatility of the zoom had me realizing just how often the click stop sat a 5mm and so this made for the obvious choice.

Despite being adverse to recommended EPs, if you have a tracking mount I would have no hesitation recommending the 3-6 zoom. If you have a manual mount I would say you would be better going to the pub getting absolutely bladdered and waking up the next morning feeling sick than buying a 3-6 zoom but that's just my opinion.

Not had chance only got it tonight Shane and needless to say it will be a while before I could offer my views on the BGO as it's not just clear nights I need for a review of a 5mm EP.

SPACEBOY

well I am wondering which should be my next and last for a while sb but am in a bit of a dilemma, was thinking about the 24 Panoptic, good price right now, thing is I am going to be buying the Vixen 200SS I have posted in the equipment help section, that will change all the parameters of my ep's, should be interesting to see what sort of views I get then!

I have to admit John I now find it hard to take the 3-6 zoom out of the focuser on my goto Explorer 200p. Although I put this down to some reasonably good seeing lately. Hence the 5mm BGO choice as my dedicated planetary EP. The versatility of the zoom had me realizing just how often the click stop sat a 5mm and so this made for the obvious choice.

Despite being adverse to recommended EPs, if you have a tracking mount I would have no hesitation recommending the 3-6 zoom. If you have a manual mount I would say you would be better going to the pub getting absolutely bladdered and waking up the next morning feeling sick than buying a 3-6 zoom but that's just my opinion.

Not had chance only got it tonight Shane and needless to say it will be a while before I could offer my views on the BGO as it's not just clear nights I need for a review of a 5mm EP.

SPACEBOY

I think you'll love it. I don't mind the manual tracking but the EQ mount will make my observing even more enjoyable I think. will have the final bits tomorrow yippee! so maybe a test over the weekend.

I have no idea how you have coped with the zoom up till now Shane and you can use 40' BGO's as well :). I'm guessing that your scopes naturally offer a better field of view over mine or those guys at OO really know how to make AZ mounts. The zoom will come in to it's own when you get your EQP up and running. As mentioned before I can use the 3-6 zoom in my dob but 6mm 200x on planets is the only comfortable magnification to use and even then its a constant folly of nudges. Any higher than 5mm I cannot remove my hand from the OTA. I know the zoom can be considered more as a planetary EP but my intension was more for globulars and teasing out as many core stars I could given the seeing. It's this that I have found the 3-6 most useful in my collection. Unfortunately due to the larger FOV's globulars cover the zoom has been restricted to planets only in my dob. Even the given the choice I'd rather barlow my Nags or use the radian.

As for the new addition to the collection I cannot wait to find out if all the hype fits the bill. The zoom has brought out some superb detail in Saturn so the BGO will have some high expectations to live up to. I think where the BGO will pip the zoom at the post is the talk of natural colour to the image where the zoom to me seems to introduce a musky colour. This is where I feel the TMB clones offered a more pleasurable sight, to my eyes at least.

???? Where's the T4 ?

:) Sorry Nexus6 just realised the 7mm was your last addition. I thought you were after a 22T4 to sit between the 13 nag & 35 pan ?

Have you had chance to try out the 7mm BGO? I don't plan on having anymore but I've been known to get this wrong in the past.

:) Sorry Nexus6 just realised the 7mm was your last addition. I thought you were after a 22T4 to sit between the 13 nag & 35 pan ?

Have you had chance to try out the 7mm BGO? I don't plan on having anymore but I've been known to get this wrong in the past.

Hi mate, yes I have tried the 7mm, put a post in here

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-discussion/133845-hard-nail-cassini-season.html

I am still going for a ep in between the pan and radian, just can't decide. :(

I agree totally Kef9 it can get out of control. I know this is now like the forth time I said the collection is complete but the difference is this time I don't want anymore. There's no more I wonder if I had this magnification would that work better on this DSO? A 20% off sale was to good an opportunity to miss so I agree there was an unexpected addition of a 3-6 zoom. Considering that the zoom offered the variety of 4 magnifications 2 of which I hadn't actually got, it worked out OK (in two scope anyway). The BGO was added to the collection as I wanted to get the very most from my views of the planets and with so many SGL member reviews on how good they are this seemed the ideal choice for a dedicated planetary EP. How often the seeing will allow me to use this EP remains to be seen.

BTW Kef9 DIBS ON THE SEMI-APO :hello2:

Once my 26mm Nagler finally arrives in good shape, I think that's it for me too, although that said, I'll want to swap my UO 9mm for a BGO 9mm to provide uniformity. I may or may not sell my 35mm Pan and as I suspect the 22mm Pan won't be used too much, although I'll be keeping this for sure, I cannot see me wanting to swap for either a 20mm or 22mm Nagler anytime soon.

I considered getting some of the BGO's but I decided that my eyepiece collection has to stop somewhere!!!

I know what you mean mate but thought for a smallish sum it was worth having a look at one.

One more TV and that really is it, call it an early b'day pressy and as the discount will run out before my 46th its too tempting not take the opportunity and buy :hello2:

.... although that said, I'll want to swap my UO 9mm for a BGO 9mm to provide uniformity...

If and when you decide to do this Shane I would be interested in your UO 9mm - I'm building a set of the classic "volcano tops" :hello2:

:hello2: I did see a pic some where of your VT collection John, very nice I might add. Do you use them in your fraks. I must admit I found the nags very dissapointing in my evo. Gave some good views but found they were very fussy about eye position. I have never had a problem in my reflectors with them so I assume it's the scope design being more suited to plossl. My set of old TAL's work great and I would even say they offered more contrast to the images of the moon.

:hello2: I did see a pic some where of your VT collection John, very nice I might add. Do you use them in your fraks. I must admit I found the nags very dissapointing in my evo. Gave some good views but found they were very fussy about eye position. I have never had a problem in my reflectors with them so I assume it's the scope design being more suited to plossl. My set of old TAL's work great and I would even say they offered more contrast to the images of the moon.

could it not be that the frac would (presumably) have a smaller exit pupil making eye positioning more critical?

Archived