Jup Oct 6th 1st light 3x Tal (Mak 127)

Space Cowboy

Firstly thanks to FLO for prompt delivery of my new 3x Tal barlow just in time for clear night!

Conditions were very clear and stable atmosphere though there was an annoying breeze...not sure how much this has affected images but thanks to the Tal they are showing the most detail yet!

4 min avi @10 fps stacked 1000. Tal 3x + extension = f40 ish.

Craterlet (did try sharpcap but poorer quality)

Images below are actual size and 75%

space-cowboy-albums-jupiter-picture7039-cratlerlet-capture-jup-oct-6th-0001-castr-1000-st.png

space-cowboy-albums-jupiter-picture7040-cratlerlet-capture-jup-oct-6th-0001-castr-1000-st-75-percent.jpg

Great 1st light with Tal x3 Stuart,

both r great showing loads of detail :(

think 75% best, everything apears bit sharper

and is still very nice large scale

looks like u got bit detail in GRS, plus nice Jnr, and nice white ovals showing in south aswell, also Neb very nice detail and nice LLRS similar to Jnr stands out well in North region aswell

think with ideal seeing and conditions results could be even better

what did u use for ext ?

and how hard did u go with wavelets ?

great result, well done

James

Cheers Bunny!

Thanks James! I used the empty barrel of skywatcher 2x barlow as extension. Have several avis with just the 3x Tal also.

I use the registax tutorial that was posted on here a while ago (can't remember by who) only move 2nd and 3rd wavelets to low 30s and then do the rest with the wavelet filter box. Need at least 1000 frames else noise soon kicks in. Did stack 2000 but result did not look as natural.

Thanks again guys! I believe FLO have a plentiful supply of Tal barlows Harry :-)

Just done some calculations after realising that this combination of 3x Tal and extension has produced a larger image than 2 2x barlows (thought it looked big!) must have done a good job with star alignment as had no problem tracking for 4 mins (did use 3x barlow during alignment).

I've worked out that this image is actually f50 !!! I had read that the empty barlow tube extension would add 1.5x but when combined with 2x barlow it only increased to 2.5. With the 3x Tal it appears to have increased to 4.25x......obviously not an exact science.

Only the Barlow is used (prime focus).

Having only ever owned a Mak I can't give a balanced view on the merits of your scope compared to mine but I would say a 8" reflector will out perform my 5" Mak. Have you done any imaging with your 6" refector?

No, not yet :(

I only bought it this week and I'm already thinking of a better mount and how I'll be able to get it :( Gonna sell off parts off one of my PCs! lol

Got a lovely view of Jupiter and I'm going to get Andromeda the next time the skies clear. My Jupiter was nowhere near the size of yours though. Lovely image.

I've got my eye on a couple of decent EPs and I'm researching filters for best DSOs.

Your images are getting better and better! How you keep the image on the sensor at that size I don't know! I have the Supatrak mount which I think is the same as yours but without the GOTO. On the finest movement setting 'guide' one touch is enough to send the image flying off!

Archived