Hello SGL Gang

Dob_Man

im another newbie armed with a skywatcher 6 inch dob and 2 eyepieces, thats all the ammo i have for now...with this setup i can see loads of DSO although like a smudge its brilliant to know what you have seen. im living in wales with reasonable skies but at present its been cloudy at nights and with the gaps comes the dew...omg i cant win. winter is not far off and most sessions are done then. i dont do astrophotography just moon shots at prime focus. im just an observer and enjoy every moment i can get out at night with my scope. my best object ive seen so far is...M57..although just like a faint misty ring, after awhile i can make out its doughnut shape with averted vision...just amazing. seen so many things with this dob and so many more to find cant wait for more clear nights. my reasons for joining here is because im always looking to learn more about astronomy in general and ask for advice when needed. so thanks for having me here and i hope i can contribute in someway or another. thanks guys :o

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dob_Man and welcome to the forum.

Like you, I just do the observing and can't wait for the longer clear nights. Joining the forum is a great idea as there are plenty of experts on here who can give you some good advice and also non experts who are great to share experiences with as well. Have you thought of getting the book "Turn Left at Orion"? might even be a good xmas present for someone to buy you though you'll want to get your hands on it straight away! It's designed for people who are starting out with small to medium sized reflectors such as your dob. I've got a copy and found it very helpful as it lists some great targets to search for whilst helping you find them by using maps that are inverted and back to front so that any directions mimic what you are going to see in the eyepiece. Manually finding the objects really does need a good detailed map so this will help you along the way. You can google "Stellarium" which can be downloaded for free and that is an excellent bit of software that will help you identify what you can see in the sky in real time.

Look forward to hearing what you next spot with your scope!

Clear skies

James

thanks all for the welcome.

Dai...im in fochriw. great skies here..well sometimes. up on the hills the view is great so many stars comparing to city skies. what mag skies i have here im not sure i must find out :o

Crynant is where I can be found. Also have dark skies and agree from the mountains its incredible. If only we had the weather.. one night in twenty, not good enough. Basically we have the same scope, but mines on on EQ3-2 mount. Pretty new here myself, have any questions just ask, there is always an answer from one of the members.

Archived