Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL Beginners Imaging Day

daz

All

My sincere apologies - since starting the threads in here, I have been rather busy and not had time to pick up with them :)

I am working now in the background to finalise details of a beginners day and so far it is as follows:

Sunday 28th Nov

Bedford School, Bedford

10am-5pm

Covering mounts, telescopes, afocal imaging, lunar/solar/planetary imaging, dslr imaging, basic ccd, simple processing

Cost - likely to £15 including lunch and all refreshments

The web cam imaging will focus on using a SCT and web-cam type camera, the dslr will be with a short refractor/lens. However, if you wish, you can bring your own kit with you and there will be time during the day for us to work with you on a 1-1 basis.

** PLEASE NOTE: Neither Bedford School's or SGL's insurance will cover ANY damage to your kit if you choose to bring it. SGL has Public Liability insurance, but does not cover attendees equipment **

This event is really focussed at those people who think they want to get started in imaging in some form and need to understand the pro's and con's of the different aspects. If you are already imaging and want to get a deeper understanding of kit and/or processing, then this is not for you!

I appreciate it is in Bedford again, but I am supported by Bedford AS who are hosting the event for me, and by Bedford School as part of their Astronomy Outreach programme.

We will most certainly running these workshops in other areas of the country so if you think Bedford is a little too far, please be patient and there will be a workshop near you soon! :o

Please feel free to ask any other questions here, we are working on a booking form at the moment and once that and a couple of other bits are finalised, we'll let you know.

One last thing, attendance will be limited to 50 places only - this gives us the opportunity to work with people on a 1-1 basis if required.

Cheers, and my apologies again!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Daz,

Great news about the SGL Beginners Imaging Day

Sunday 28th Nov Date in the diary

Bedford School, Bedford Location now in the TomTom

10am-5pm nice amount of time to cover items

Covering mounts, telescopes, afocal imaging, lunar/solar/planetary imaging, dslr imaging, basic ccd, simple processing great selection of topics

Cost - likely to £15 including lunch and all refreshments childrens moneybox raided to raise funds :(

Looking forward to the booking form so I can sign on the dotted line ....................................

A big thanks for all you your work in the background to get this arranged

:( Thank you :(

solti

Count me in please, my folks live in Milton Keynes so a trip to them to drop the wife off for the day will keep her who should be obeyed happy (or maybe not?, but at least she can do a bit of shopping in the Shopping Centre).

Look forward to seeing you there and then finally get somewhere with imaging.

Mark

@Pauly - most definitely!

Things are in motion in the background, expect a full detailed announcement very soon - I have been/am away with work but back at home this week to get things pushed on :(

Thank you for patience!

So, the day will look something like:

09:45 -10:00 = Welcome

10:00 - 11:00 = Mounts, Scopes, Camera's, Afocal imaging

11:00 - 11:20 = Tea + Questions, Hands On

11:20 - 12:20 = Lunar / Planetary imaging with an SCT and webcam type cameras

12:20 - 1:45 = Lunch, Questions, Hands On

1:45 - 2:45 = DSLR Imaging with a short refractor/camera lens

2:45 - 3:15 = Tea, Questions, Hands On

3:15 - 4:15 = Introduction to CCD's and simple processing

4:15 - 17:00 = Tea, Questions, Hands On

17:00 = Close

The Hands On sessions are designed to answer more in-depth questions and/or demonstrate ideas. So, if you have your own kit with you, we can show you with that as well.

Also, we have more than one room available, so it is possible to have smaller demonstrations running during the main talks - i.e. if DSLR imaging is not your thing but you want to go through connecting a webcam in a bit more detail, we can do that as well.

Again, please remember this is a beginners session, not for people looking to take their imaging to the next level.

Lunch needs to be at 12:20 sharp because the school caters for boarding boys as well, and we need to be finished and out the dining hall by 1-ish. Again, there is time for questions, hands on demo's etc.

The booking site will be up later today!

Finally, everyone will get a CD with free software and some content for you to go away and practice with.

PLEASE REMEMBER THE SCHOOL IS A NON-SMOKING SITE! Please ask to be directed to a smoking area

• 2 weeks later...
If you are already imaging and want to get a deeper understanding of kit and/or processing, then this is not for you!

Hi Daz,

This event looks amazing, although I think I've gotten started on my merry way to the stars...

Good luck with the event, take some pictures :)

Best,

Mike

Archived