Self Centering Laser Collimators

Ogri

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John:"Be interesting to see if they actually are the same."

Won't it just! :icon_salut:

{not that I'd know any different, not having a Hotech personally}

I'm very tempted to try one of his new range of Flat Field eyepieces soon too. Might just order the 16mm next week (as much as anything I'm curious about the contrast with it).

The certainly do "look" identical to the Hotech collimators. Be interesting to see if they actually are the same. :icon_salut:

They look identical because the company are using Hotech's product images (albeit photoshopped) but the products are definitely NOT manufactured or endorsed by Hotech.

Steve

My guess is that the laser inside is still going to be your bog stnd laser unit mounted in the shell and collimated by normal means- no real gain there then .

If however it is a precision unit built in as part of the design and NOT user collimatable then surely this must be a clear breach of copyright ??

mmmm, I have a Hotech and cant fault it. It gives fast reliable collimation every time, and thats with my F4 Newt.

I cant see how these can be as good as the Hotech based on the hype that they are user adjustable.... just my 2p worth, could very wel be wrong....

Gary

For a few extra quid I'd rather have the genuine article, rather than some cheap poorly copied imitation. You get what you pay for.

I love my Hotech, it is one of my few bits of kit that I can actually state "yep, I have the best there is". Until my obsy is full of Takahashis, AP mounts and SX H35's it will probably stay that way :o

Weeeelllll, some sucke* I mean 'brave soul' had better volunteer to get one of these to see what's what with it then?

I can't see Alan getting anything naff and not being more than above board about things (look at his description of the standard adjustable laser collimator he sells, for example - which I was going to get), so this muggins is prepared to put his hand up and go on the waiting list.

Let's be honest here, CNC's can spit out precision components faster than 20 to the dozen these days, and at negligible cost. I think some people might be a little shocked at how little it costs to make stuff any more. :(

Just because we pay a lot for stuff, doesn't mean it's worth it.

I found that out the hard way, which was why I became an importer myself at one point (selling very superior, genuinely certified gear for a lot less than other people were selling trash with forged certification).

I think Alan's a very safe bet, and I'll put my money where my mouth is, no problem.

Which would be the one to try? I'm not particularly bothered about crosshairs, but is it worth going with the 1.25"/2" single dot model? Or would the plain jane 1.25" one be good enough to check things out?

The thing is, Hotech actually make lasers, they dont just make cases and then plop a cheap laser diode into it.

Great page, the CT laser looks very interesting, have yet to see that one.

HOTECH, green laser, green laser with flashlight, water resistant laser, military laser, laser gunsight, astronomy laser, astronomy, laser collimator, telescope accessories

Exactly the point that I was trying to make and sure enough the previous poster seems to confirm all that was suspected ! Just a similar shell with a bog stnd diode unit fitted into it by the sounds of it . As TJ said earlier YGWYPF

One of your suppliers let you down??

What are you trying to imply?

I am not a retailer (though I have been a retailer, wholesaler, importer, exporter, as well as a manufacturer of various products completely unrelated to astronomy - primarily to do with slates, granites, ceramics, plastics, high technology timber frames to modified and improved Canadian R2000 Standards, plus manufactured high specification custom computers for CAD, Publishing enterprises, Music Studios, etc., as a sideline).

I am a customer.

I was looking forward to trying something new, something that hasn't been available as yet (nobody has bought those collimators yet, even off 'ebay', and as I understand it, they are 'not' copies of Hotech ones). Just like I did with the Castell UHC filter, because a) I needed something to help with contrast anyway; and :D people on SGL were curious about them to the point of chatting about them, so why not.

I had never even bought anything off Sky's the Limit before (I'll repeat that just so that it is clear, NEVER!). But I have now.

As I needed something sooner rather than later, I bought one of these lasers Collimators instead, with the 2" adapter.

It arrived promptly, in good condition, and seems well made.

I rotation checked the alignment and found it didn't need any adjusting. There's a nice dot even on the first setting (I didn't need to use a brighter setting), and it's very bright at the top setting (position 7), with the steps in between being positive increases in brightness.

I had got fairly close with my initial attempt with the Cheshire, but outer 9 ring rather than the 10 ring, which I was a bit chuffed with given I had no focus on the crosshairs plus problems with the circles (due to my eyes, not the Cheshire).

Fine tuning is now a piece of cake for me, and the star test I just did was good.

I am not trying to imply anything Ogri!

I only asked the question because of your highly dramatic statement about someone loosing your custom.

I used the word "supplier" because of how you were portraying yourself.

I found that out the hard way, which was why I became an importer myself at one point (selling very superior, genuinely certified gear for a lot less than other people were selling trash with forged certification).

An easy mistake to make considering the above statement.....:D

Somebody has just permanently lost a customer, and it isn't Sky's the Limit.
One of your suppliers let you down??
What are you trying to imply?
I am not trying to imply anything Ogri!
Yeah right.

To be fair Ogri your post was intended to raise a response, and it has. Nobody minds you endorsing a dealer and his products (we have a dealer review board) but quarreling with one of SGL's ADMIN will not help.

Let's be friendly, eh :)

Archived